Thread: Moving My Documents folder to different drive

Moving My Documents folder to different drive

I am running Windows XP on my computer with 2 user accounts. Another user has migrated My Documents to a second drive, which is not the C drive, and I want to move My Documents to the same drive as well. Can anyone tell me how do I do this?

Re: Moving My Documents folder to different drive

Since you use XP, then it works on the basis of user accounts, as you know, so your My Documents folder is different from any other users My Documents folder. You can try to move your My Documents folder to any internal hard disk partition, whether the same or different than anybody else's. It wont be merged with anyone else's My Documents folder. But, a user with Administrator permissions can view everyone's My Documents folders. Follow the below link on how to do that:

"How to Move Shell Folders (and contents)"
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_shell_folders.htm

Re: Moving My Documents folder to different drive

You have to ensure your folder on the other driver has a different name than the other user's "my documents" location. Incase they have choosen the root of the drive as their location, then it will be the best if they move it to a folder instead. When you right click on my documents and choose properties, then move, and you can enter a Drive:\Folder in the box there, incase the folder doesnt exist then it will offer to create it. You have to then get the option to move your files to the new location.

Thanks, but I dont know what I am doing wrong since it is not working for me. I followed the method but it will not move? If I double check the location, then it is in its original location only. Did you mean to say that I have to physically create a folder called My Documents before I move it?