Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Where are all Quick Launch Bar shortcuts saved and how to change the folder location?

Windows XP Support

Old 22-07-2008

Where are all Quick Launch Bar shortcuts saved and how to change the folder location?

Hey guys, as my subject line says, I have a few questions regarding the XP Quick Launch Bar. I am using Windows XP with SP3 and I have several Shortcut icons saved in the quick launch. I wanted to know where does this icons are saved when we insert a new icn in the bar? If it is a folder then where is this folder located?

I said folder because I guess all those icons are saved in Folder instead of any registry. Please provide the needful info. Thank you.

Old 22-07-2008

Re: Where are all Quick Launch Bar shortcuts saved and how to change the folder location?

I dont think finding out the icons location is so hard. You can get it in few steps. One creates a unique shortcut on the Quick-Launch bar, e.g. xyz.lnk, then goes looking for it on the hard disk. And here it is:

C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

But i have a small question for you. If you just dont know the folders location also not sure whether it is folder or folder, why do you want to change its location?
Old 22-07-2008

Re: Where are all Quick Launch Bar shortcuts saved and how to change the folder location?

Quick Launch shortcuts are saved on different locations. However you can simply find it by searching quick launch in start menu > Search field. By the way, Bauer asked above, even i would like to know why exactly you want to change the folder location? I mean it doesnt takes huge space on your drive, neither i have a seen a single guy ever thought to change quick launch folder.
Old 22-07-2008

The default location for Quick Launch folder is under \Documents and Settings\xxx\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch and you can cut/paste it or contents where you wish. You could also...

1. Make a new folder where you want it. One of mine is named "Fast Apps"

2. Right click task bar

3. Select "Toolbars"

4. Select "New toolbar"

5. Browse to and select your new folder

6. On the taskbar, drag the shortcuts from Quick Launch to your new one

7. Close Quick Launch.
Old 31-07-2008

You can copy it from C:\Documents and Settings\Troy Newton\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch and past it anywhere but i dont known whether it will work or not.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , , , ,