Thread: Folder option\files types

Folder option\files types

I am having a windows xp system with me. I am facing problem with some files in it. I am not able to modify any file. I went inside folder option to find out some help on files type. But it is not working. All options are grayed out. I need some help to find solution for the problem. I am completely not able to modify any files. I am getting a error on the screen. Is this a virus issue. If yes then how to fix it back. I am having avast in my pc.

Re: Folder option\files types

The issue lies with file permission. I will advice you to login in admin account and then run the changes. That will be more easier I think. Rightnow whatever account you are in is not having the full permission for file modification due to which you are getting the error. Just log off and login in the admin account. If you are already in the admin account then there are chances that virus has modified the file permission. You have run a clean installation of windows.

Try to run system restore. I am sure that will fix the issue. If there is a serious virus issue then you can run a full system scan in safe mode. It will remove some threats. I will also recommend you to simply use a better antivirus like norton in your pc. It is a good tool that can scan and heal your system as per your need. You can download a trail edition of norton and update the same. I am sure that will be more better to fix the problem you are facing.

System restore is a bit risky here. When you run that it will also restore the virus in your pc. So better start with data backup. Even if you fix the problem threats will still stay in your pc. The best thing to get that problem fixed is by running a fresh windows installation which is much more safer. Just backup the data and then go ahead with the setup. It is a right option to use a nice antivirus but to some extent it will not be much helpful.

Re: Folder Option\Files Types

Hello, I hope my note finds everyone doing well. I recently encountered the same problem when I attempted to edit the Folder Options/File Types. The odd thing is that this only occurs for some of the File Types. For instance, for Internet Shortcut and URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol the Delete, Change and Apply buttons are all greyed out.

I am trying to enable these buttons on my home machine, which runs on Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, SP3. I am the only one who uses it, so I always assumed I had Administrator rights. I double checked by going into Control Panel - User Accounts and I am the only one.

I followed the advice here and used the link from "Kelly 400 tweaks" to add "NoFileAssociate (Value 0)" to the registry. I rebooted and checked the registry (I did a find for NoFileAssociate and it had been added), but alas there was no change. The buttons are still greyed out.

I am not sure what I could be doing wrong. I do not log into my computer with a password; I just get a welcome screen and it proceeds to my desktop. The only time I am presented with a login screen is if I boot into Safe Mode, and even then the password is blank (I just hit enter). I tried logging into Safe Mode to see if that made a difference, but there is no change to the Folder Options/File Types.

I look forward to your suggestions!

It is will be good if you backup your data first and just format your pc. That will be more safer. You can use a good backup tool to backup and restore your files. Unlocker here can only help you to unlock every file one by one manually. It is not the complete solution. I will also advice you to simply format your pc properly and then run the setup back from scratch. It will work more properly. That will clean the file system and also restore the permission. So that is more safer to some extent.

Hi folks, sorry for the necropost. This is a drive-by for the benefit of future users suffering from this problem, as this thread is one of the highest search results to precisely describe it.

I had this exact same problem: All filetype options grayed out under admin users or even Administrator, all registry keys present and correct. The solution I found after lots of searching - whose source I've unfortunately lost and can't seem to find again - is safe mode. I rebooted to safe mode, made a change to a filetype and hit OK (and then immediately put the filetype back to the way it was). One reboot later, hey presto - whatever switch went wrong was cleared, and I could change filetypes under admin again. Hope it helps.