Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Delete Product Key

Windows XP Support

Old 18-07-2008

Delete Product Key

Hi, I need some urgent help from you all. I have 5 desktops running with Windows XP, all activated with genuine product keys. Now I want to sell one of these XP..i mean only its product key and will activate the same with one of my another XP product key. On web I found that I can delete the existing key and next time when I will reboot it will show me 30 days trial and then I can activate it with another key. So, can anyone please tell me from where can I delete the existing windows xp key? Where does it stored?

Also note that I only want to delete the Key and not the operating system as it contains several paid apps and I don?t want to re-install them again. Please help.

Old 18-07-2008

Can you tell me whether this is OEM or Retail software? You want to force a friend to purchase a $100 key? Are you reusing the OEM key intended for that machine, or is it not an OEM install? You possibly don't have the CD because there's a separate partition for reinstalling.

What you can do is just add a user named "Owner", then remove your username; let the purchaser have the software etc., that is installed on the machine. Forgive me if I have missed a valid point, but I don't see a need to remove the key or delete WPA.DBL
Old 19-07-2008

Yes, thats the main point (Retail or OEM). Before i can suggest anything i would like to know Does it have a Certificate of Authenticity sticker on it? What is the make and model of the PC? What operating system originally came with it? At any point, was this upgraded to another operating system?
Old 14-05-2009

Re: Product Key

Well the keys are stored in registry and use to be encrypted. If you just want to use another product key on this system, then simply change it. Why is it required to delete. In order to change the product key, just follow the steps provided here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874
Old 14-05-2009

Re: Product Key

Just a small tips regarding Product key. You should know that recently the Windows Product keys (XP, 2003, 2008, Vista) seems to be using a "font" that can be mis-read, for example:

O and 0 (zero) can appear the same
1 and l (lowercase L) can be confusing
B and 8 are almost the same.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,