Thread: Unable to install MTP device (MP3 player)

Unable to install MTP device (MP3 player)

Hi this is my first post on here, I hope this is the right place.
    I recently fitted a new CD/DVD recorder (Liteon IHAP122-19) to my Windows XP computer because I was having problems with my old one, the main one being that it wouldn't burn cd's. I installed the Nero 7 essentials software that came with the hardware and I am now able to burn cd's ok (in Windows Media Player 11) but I am now unable to copy music to my Samsung YP-Z5 MP3 player. I have tried other media players such as Winamp and Emodio and none of them recognize my MP3 player. When I connect it to the USB port I get the message 'new hardware found' and then a wizard pops up for installing the hardware and it says if you have an installation cd put it in. So I did that and clicked on install and then I got the following message:
    'Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing the device'
    MTP device
    'An error occured during the installation of the device. The specified service does not exist as an installed service.'
    I have spoken to Samsung UK about this and they seem to think it is a problem with my computer. Could it be something to do with the Nero 7 software, or do I need to update the firmware?
    Does anyone have any suggestions please?

I dont think there is anything related here to do with Nero.You should better checkout the Samsung's Official website. Check their mp3 player and FAQ's section. If you have got any Driver CD along with the device better try using those drivers. If not, download it from their website. It should fix your problem.

Re: Unable to install MTP device (MP3 player)

I installed the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit and the Media Transfer Protocol Enhanced Specification and updated all the USB drivers as suggested by Jaggerdss but I still can't connect my mp3 player in WMP11. I keep getting this message:

Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard. This wizard helps you install software for:
    MTP device
    If your hardware came with an installation CD insert it now (which I did)
    What do you want the wizard to do?
    Install the software automatically (recommended)
    Install from a list or a specific location (advanced)
    Click next to continue

So I chose the recommended option and got this message:

Cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing the device
    MTP device
    An error occured during the installation of the device. The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

What should I do now, uninstall WMP 11 and reinstall it or what?

I followed the instructions on the Samsung.com/us site, connected my mp3 player again and I still got the same messages I mentioned before. I did a driver scan through Driver Agent and the results indicated that I have 3 'bad' drivers:

Display adapters - VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
    Network adapters - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Universal Serial Bus Controllers - USB Mass Storage Device

The first 2 are from VIA Arena but the USB one is a Microsoft one, but when I went on to the Microsoft Update Catalog and typed in USB Mass Storage Device it listed 4 pages of drivers! How do I know which is the correct one to install?

I did everything you suggested but still got the same messages so I tried a different mp3 player and it was recognized by wmp11 so I am wondering now if there is a fault with my samsung mp3 player. I think I need to try it on another computer to see if gets recognized on there.

I have tried that many times without success and my MP3 player is working fine, it just won't install on my pc.

I have solved the problem. Instead of choosing the recommended option (install the software automatically) I chose the advanced option (install from a list or specific location) and then instead of choosing MTP device I chose USB Hub and it worked!

Did you tried running Windows Update? Also did you tried re-installing or upgrading Windows Media Player 11? If not, first try to run Windows Update and install every patches you received. Apart from this i will suggest you to try plugging your MP3 player in some another USB port. if it works fine than surely the port is damaged, right? And if it still wont work, then try out the following steps and see if it works:
    • Right Click My Computer icon on desktop, select Manage.
    • Here click Device manager from the left pane and see if you have any listing with yellow triangles/exclamation mark
    • If yes, right click on the entry and then delete it.
    • Restart the system and wait for some time to let windows search and install the appropriate driver for the device automatically.

Your device should be working fine now. Is still not than delete all USB hub devices and then restart the pc again. Let the system search and install the USB ports itself as we did earlier.

As i guess the MP3 player is a plug and play device, i dont think you need a software to transfer files because it uses Windows Media Player. By the way did you tried flashing your drive's firmware, there may be an update for it? If not do it, It may solve your problem.

Problem!

Hey...

This is slightly urgent. I have Sony's NW-A1000. And received a CONNECT Player installation CD with it. However, its not getting installed on my computer (Windows XP - Dell XPS 1330). Also, I tried to sync them through WMP and Data Transfer.....but the player doesnt seem to recognise the formats.

This is slightly urgent.

I may have a solution. I too suddenly had this problem. I downloaded the porting kit but that did not fix the problem. Eventually I got down to selecting manual install in the add hardware control panel.

When I did this it showed two drivers for the MP3 player. One was the MTP Device which was constantly failing when I tried to load the driver. But another choice was the USB Mass Storage Device driver.

When I chose the USB Mass Storage Device, the OS loaded it and immediately the MP3 was detected.

So it looks like some the failures I saw from googling may have been because the USB Mass Storage Device driver was not loaded.

Hopes this helps someone else in the future.