Thread: vista 64 - mouse pointer stuck in top left corner of screen

liquidstool Guest

vista 64 - mouse pointer stuck in top left corner of screen

hey all

yesterday i had to reinstall vista due to hdd failure, i reinstalled no problems and to reward myself thought i'd play call of duty, excellent no problems there.

Today i thought i'd kick some butt again and now disaster!

My mouse pointer refuses to move from the top left corner of the screen on the main menu of call of duty. I also tried Call of duty UO and lo, the same problem - not happy.

I've made no changes to anything, other than downloaded and installed SP1 after my game last night.

I don't know if it's anything to do with my screen settings, currently the resolution is set to 1680x1050 but i'm sure that yesterday it was set 2080xsomething.

i did mess around with the dpi because on some programs, nero, windows mail the text seemed blurry.

anyone offer any advice?

thx

Carlos Guest

RE: vista 64 - mouse pointer stuck in top left corner of screen

Hi,
    Is it a wireless mouse?
    Have you checked the batteries?
    Try another mouse or check your mouse in another PC.
    :)
    Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP Guest

Re: vista 64 - mouse pointer stuck in top left corner of screen

Good suggestions, Carlos. Also, failing anything else, go into the device manager and delete the mouse entirely. Then allow Windows to re-detect it and re-load any special drivers it uses.

--

Colin Barnhorst Guest

I just went through that with a ps/2 mouse. I tried another mouse and no problem so I chucked the ps/2 mouse for a new one and that also was fine. I also suspect the mouse.

liquidstool Guest

Well thx for yor suggestions but none of them worked.

I did some experimenting and found that by changing the DPI to 96dpi and then rebooting, the problem disappeared, however this does not explain why i have never had this problem before, also as 96dpi is too small for me, i have to go thru this sequence everytime i want to play COD - which is frequently!

My screen setings via my NVIDIA control panel suggest that i am using my monitor's native resolution of 1680x1050 and that i use my monitors inbuilt scaling (22" Samsung SyncMaster Plus 2232BW Pebble) My dispplay settings via personalization show that the desktop is extended. Given what i've discovered, i still feel that the problem is not the mouse or drivers but rather is in some way connected to the display settings.

Any further useful info?

Tony Sperling Guest

If you are of some considerable age, like myself, I think 1680x1050 on a 22" could be a bit hard to decipher. Try setting it to 1280x800 (it is a widescreen, isn't it? - otherwise try 1280x960!).

The default 'dpi' of standard monitors is usually either 96 or 72, making changes to the 'dpi' can result in strange font rendering, the 'dpi' is calculated from the geometrics of the physical screen, so I would recommend experimenting, changing the resolution which will keep the 'dpi' and your font rendering at something readable. (Hopefully?)

Tony. . .