Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Advanced boot options

Windows x64 Edition

Old 15-06-2008

Advanced boot options

I have bought a new system having below components:
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
  • Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
  • 6GB RAM

I was not getting desired graphics while using Google Earth, one expert whom i met in another forum suggested me to restrict max memory to 3 GB using advanced boot options. I did so but i dont see any difference, i am getting same graphics as before. I wanted to know if i keep it restricted to 3 GB than my remaining 3 GB of ram will get used or it will simply get wasted???

I have come across some other option in advanced boot windows, like "Number of processors","PCI lock" and "Detect HAL". I wanted to know what are they used for. I dont have much idea about all these things and this is the first time i have accessed advanced boot window. Is there anyone here who can share some information regarding them.

Old 15-06-2008

RE: Advanced boot options

If you will keep your memory restricted to 3 GB than remaining 3 GB will get wasted. Since doing that has not made any difference in your case, i will suggest you to revert back to what it was.

Here are other information you have asked for.

Number of processors - It is used for enabling only the first processors on multiple processor system.
PCI Lock - It is used for stopping Windows from assigning IO/IRQ resources to PCI devices dynamically and leaving them configured by BIOS.
Detect HAL - It is used for adding a prompt allowing you to select operating system to boot to when there are several operating systems installed on same hard drive partition.
Old 16-06-2008

I just want to add that restricting max memory to below its capability will waste remaining memory. One restricts max memory for testing purpose,so that he doesn't have to take out extra memory from his system, rather use this simple switch and restrict it to desired count.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Tags: ,