Thread: Apple Quicktime not fully functional on Vista Ultimate 64

Apple Quicktime not fully functional on Vista Ultimate 64

Hi, everyone. I had some video subscribed which need Quicktime. I thought those would be some flash videos, But when I open the website I got a QuickTime popup update on my screen. I download that from Apple website but still it is not working. My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. I had just for fun installed Windows XP 32bit on a separate partition. The same website quiet well on the other OS while Vista is just pain. Is there a way by which I can make this thing work.

Re: Apple Quicktime not fully functional on Vista Ultimate 64

I know your problem. See you have a 64bit edition of Windows Vista. And so your web browser will be also 64bit. The QuickTime update which you installed might be 32bit. So under any circumstances it is not going to work at all. You have to download and run a 64bit edition of QuickTime. This same kind of problem also persist with Flash. I had struggled a lot to make this work and at the end I realize that I am using 32bit version of flash on a 64bit browser. Try to find the same and it will work. Or best download and install Safari in your system.

There is always a issue with Apple tools to work on Windows. The default browser is Internet Explorer. I do not understand why they all use a common standard that can be useful for the end user. I am not sure there is a 64bit edition available for Quicktime, but you said you have Windows XP 32bit also. So why are you wasting your time in the same. Just use that one and done. Instead of downloading different kind of web browser and updates you will face more issue.

Go for Safari. It will definitely work. The browser has option by which you can enable and disable 64bit mode. That means it work on both 32bit and 64bit mode. For that you just need to verify some settings. But this option is only available in Mac. I am not sure about Vista. I think Quicktime videos will work well on Safari. It is integrated feature for this browser as it belongs to Apple. You must try the same once.

For Windows Vista 64 there is obviously a compatibly issue between Firefox 3 and Apple quick time showing the control bar.

I found the best way to work around this is to disable the Quick Time plug-in within Firefox 3 which allows the .mov window to open with in Quick Time directly and not in Firefox. Then you will have the missing control bar.

I don't have a clue about Internet Explorer as I prefer not to use it except under urgent situations where something won't work in Firefox and I need it now.

I too am on a Vista 64 and having the same issues. In my case it is not only Fire Fox. I have the same issue in IE, Safari, and even in iTunes. The weird thing is that it worked fine until I put in my registration information to make my player Quicktime Pro.

In addition to the Quicktime issue I have several complete lockups where everything freezes (including my mouse and my keyboard), and most of the time this happens I have Safari open.

Not sure why but it seems like Windows VIsta 64 doesn't get along so well with Apple products.

Please let me know if you find a solution for this as I often view Lynda.com videos as well. If I find a solution I will do the same.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by johnnmitchell View Post
    For Windows Vista 64 there is obviously a compatibly issue between Firefox 3 and Apple quick time showing the control bar.

I found the best way to work around this is to disable the Quick Time plug-in within Firefox 3 which allows the .mov window to open with in Quick Time directly and not in Firefox. Then you will have the missing control bar.

I don't have a clue about Internet Explorer as I prefer not to use it except under urgent situations where something won't work in Firefox and I need it now.
    I have the problem with Firefox 3 and Vista 64 bit as well.