Thread: Running 32 bit .NET programs on 64 bit Vista

Running 32 bit .NET programs on 64 bit Vista

I am using a 64bit Vista system. It has around 8GB ram and it is working fine. Now if I install any 32bit software on that, I had seen that it does not use more than 3GB of RAM. I had seen in some articles that 32bit system can use a 4GB of RAM instead. So it looks it is a waste of so much resources I am having. So as my title says, if I am using a 32bit .net program then the ram usage still remains limited to 3GB and I cannot expect to have a much better performance from it.

Re: Running 32 bit .NET programs on 64 bit Vista

You are not able to understand how this actually works. See if a system has a limitation of 32bit architecture there is no way you can force it to perform much better. If you check how 32bit system works then you find the following. A 32bit architecture has a flat ram limitation of 4GB. Most of the time people use 2x2GB sticks in their system. I had seen number of people who complain that their games or software are not able to give good performance on 64bit environment. The reason lies with the design. In place of that just test a 64bit application on the same and you can gain around 10 to 15% higher performance.

There must be some kind of emulator type thing that can offer you this stuff. Somehow I had seen that using 32bit software is not at all useful on higher platform. Basically when you are working on development part. It is not complicated to understand how this all work, but to some extent this is always a problem with programmers. For gaming 64bit system are recommended. But just adding some RAM is not done. You need some kind of video memory also that can handle the process.