Thread: Convert new HP A6350z 32bit Vista home Premium system to Vista 64bit Ultimate

Convert new HP A6350z 32bit Vista home Premium system to Vista 64bit Ultimate

I need some way to upgrade my laptop to a 64bit system. It is a HP A6350Z. It has a AMD Dual Core cpu installed and the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium. It came pre-installed with the laptop. Now I have some doubts. I found that 64bit OS is far more better and powerful compared to 32bit. I am ready to buy a retail edition of Windows Vista 64bit. But will that really work. What changes do I have to go to make it a 64bit system.

re: Convert new HP A6350z 32bit Vista home Premium system to Vista 64bit Ultimate

This is not possible. You said that you have a new HP system which came loaded with 32bit Windows Vista. I will advice you to look in detailed specification of this laptop. What does it says. If the processor used in this supports 64bit OS, then only you will be able to install it. Or else there is no way to convert a 32bit system to 64bit. You have to upgrade your entire hardware and purchase a 64bit processor with compatible motherboard which is similar to buying a new system.

re: Convert new HP A6350z 32bit Vista home Premium system to Vista 64bit Ultimate

It is better if you contact HP. I had visited on the official website, where I found that this system supports 64bit OS. Now there are two ways you can make this work. First either upgrade your OS from 32bit to 64bit buy buying the license copy from Microsoft or simply get the retail dvd. I will recommend you to dual boot your system which would be better. Anyhow you will need to pay for two OS edition and then only you can have a this kind of dual boot system.

See if you are going to format your system on your own hand then you would void the system warranty. The conditions on which the system is sold is based on original settings which are if modified the warranty is loss. The good point about your Desktop that you have is, it supports 64bit architecture. When I checked the specification I found three compatible processor listed. I want to know which one is in your system. They are listed below. As you can see each of them as a 64bit support so you can blindly install Vista, but you have to buy the retail edition for it.
    • Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4200+ (2.2GHz / 2000MT/s) AM2; 2 x 512 KB L2 cache (65W)
    • Athlon 64 X2 (B) 5000+ (2.6GHz / 2000MT/s) AM2; 2 x 512 KB L2 cache (65W)
    • Athlon 64 X2 (W) 5600+ (2.8GHz / 2000MT/s) AM2; 2 x 1 MB L2 cache

Getting 64bit is not a big deal. I think you are looking for some way by which you can convert your existing 32hit OS to 64bit and that is quiet not possible. I will not recommend you to upgrade the system as there can be some serious bug in it. Because there can be some bugs with older drivers which might clash with the new OS. Also what is the RAM you have in your. If it is 4GB then Vista 32bit might show you only 3.5GB. You must have customized your system at the time of purchase.

If I would be in your place, then I will not recommend you to touch the system or modify the settings. Because the issue lies with proprietary drivers. And formatting it there is one thing it happens that you will lose the license copy of your existing OS. And that is a bit waste of money. Somehow you can add up a additional partition and then install the OS on that.

Contact HP and ask them about the same. They can give you cheaper upgraded. Buying two Vista license is not really costly. If you have a older system which is on Windows XP, you can upgrade that to Vista and activate the license. I am sure HP can provide you to support for transferring your license to another working system. Dual boot is the right suggestion but that degrades the drive performance to some extent. I will too not recommend you to run the upgrades as I had already faced a major issue before. After running upgrades the older driver clash with the system and there are tons of bluescreen. The results lies is to format your system back and then install the actual OS.

It is important that you read the documentation if you are willing to go with upgrade. There is no way we can directly run a 64bit OS upgrade over 32bit. You have to buy Vista Upgrade DVD license disc and then run a fresh setup. And before buying the disc you must check the system hardware. That is the only place where you can find that a 64bit would work on your system or not. Another thing after upgrade, it is best that you must locate 64bit version of all software you probably need. 32bit version running on the same might cause errors.

I want to know that does it is possible to sell the OEM software disc. Because I am too having a Vista 32bit edition with me and I want to sell it. I want to buy a 64bit. And this 32bit disc will be wasted. It will be of no use. I tried to install that on a older Windows XP system, but it did not worked. So does there is way by which I can re-sale this copy and get the 64bit edition on my system. That would be much more helpful in many ways. I want to have a 64bit system so that I can get a bit of performance boost here. That is quiet better way to work I think.

No I do not think there is a way for that. You cannot re-sale the OS you have. It is the only license copy and the company do not authorize you to sell the same. You can try contacting the vendor and ask him about the same. That would be the only way that can help you. And to some extent the OEM disc that you have will not work in other system due to different hardware.