Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Ribbons Screensaver has stopped working in Windows Vista

Windows x64 Edition

Old 22-02-2008

Ribbons Screensaver has stopped working in Windows Vista

All those how are using Windows Vista 64bit OS knows about that ribbon screensaver. It is not working in my system. When I set the screensaver as default and set the time interval of 5min it does not start. The problem is bit weird. While other screensaver works fine. I can just not able to work with this. Is it corrupted or there is some settings. Even when I click on Preview to load it, there is just a black screen. I have all video drivers updated. So I am sure that the issue does not lies with it. I had already reported that to Microsoft through Problem Report & Solution.

Old 22-02-2008

That is not a big issue I think. It happens sometime it is corrupted or not working. You can ignore that. You can download and install a similar screen saver from web. Basically if you go on System32 folder you can find a .scr file. This are the screensavers. If in your system it is not working you can copy the same from other working computer and paste it in the exact location. You will need admin rights for that. If your system is getting black on many screensavers then the issue lies with video driver. There can be certain outdated or old drivers which are not able to render the graphics and result in black screen.
Old 22-02-2008

re: Ribbons Screensaver has stopped working in Windows Vista

I am having a bit different. The screen saver when launches on its own it work for sometime and then crash with a error saying that it stopped working. I have a Vista system and it has nvidia gpu installed in it. It is a 64bit OS. It looks like there is some issue with the drivers. But I had installed fresh drivers updates just sometime ago. I hope this would be working fine.
Old 22-02-2008

This are common bugs with drivers. You can only update them. There is nothing else you can do. Go on Nvidia's web page where you can locate drivers. But do not just install them directly. First remove the older one and clean your system with left files. You can remove the drivers from control panel. Later on you can run a registry cleaner type software to wipe out the left files and then run the fresh drivers.
Old 27-02-2008

For screensavers there is no major steps available that you can do. You need to either download it and install it back again or you need to simply check the driver stuff. I own a Vista 64bit laptop. I found a settings in bios which allows the system to use onboard video memory if the pci card is not functioning. That means there were choice. I set the default on pci graphic card and things went fine. Try to ensure that your video memory settings stays intact.
Old 29-12-2008

I was having the same issue, AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core, 5GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400 Driver Version 7.15.11.7496 4/16/2008 (signed).

First, I ended processes setpoint.exe and setpoint32.exe through task manager and the ribbons screensaver began operating normally.

Next, I renamed the file in system32 then pasting a copy into system32 from "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Ribbons.scr" to "\System32\Ribbons.scr", rebooted, and it worked with setpoint, no errors so far in the log.

I have been getting the same thing for awhile and I just started looking around for a solution and what I did was rename the ribbons.scr 236.

the 236 one is the bad one. just rename the 236 one and put the 216 one in both the system32 and the syswow64 folders and the ribbons screen saver works again.

I really do NOT think it has anything to do with Ligitek or what ever it is because it has been doing this on my computer and i have no set point installed on my computer but i do have the NVIDIA drivers installed because i have a EVGA 8800GTS installed on my core 2 quad with 8 gig of ram computer.

I would think it has something to do with the NVIDIA driver i guess.
Old 29-03-2010

re: Ribbons Screensaver has stopped working in Windows Vista

My OS is Vista x64 Home Premium and I have the same problem with the Ribbons screensaver. As my video card is an ATI HD 3470 in hybrid crossfire with an HD 3300 IGP (using the latest Catalyst), it seems this issue is not limited to Nvidia GPUs.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Tags: , , ,