Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Missing Memory Diagnostic Tool

Windows x64 Edition

Old 20-02-2008

Missing Memory Diagnostic Tool

I had bought a two months ago and had installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit on it. Everything worked well until yesterday, Since than i am encountering several BSODs. In order to fix this issue i had decided to run Vista Memory Diagnostic but i am getting an error message saying "\boot\memtest.exe is missing or corrupt". I want to know if it is possible to deal with this issue without formatting and reinstalling windows?? I have contacted my friends and have spoke to them regrading the issue and they simply suggested me to reinstall windows. I'll really like to know if there's some other way out.

Old 20-02-2008

Re: Missing Memory Diagnostic Tool

You should mentioned your issue in details so that one here can have better idea of it. You have just mentioned that you are getting bsod? Have you made a note of Stop code and hex codes ?? Have you read it to find out if it is pointing to any driver or program?? If not than check out these things first and post back the details ive asked for further help.
Old 20-02-2008

I just wanted to inform you that memtest.exe might be available on your Vista install disk in the boot folder as well, so you can try Executing it from there. If that doesn't work than you can try downloading Memtest86 and running it from command prompt. Just give it a shot and see if you are able to get any help form that.
Old 20-02-2008

I have tried executing memtest.exe from Vista install disk in the boot folder but there i get another error message saying " The E:\boot\memtest.exe application cannot be run in Win32 mode." I don't mind download Memtest86 and running it from command prompt but i don't know the command to input. As far as bsod is concerned i am getting different bsods, should i make note of them all and post it here???
Old 20-02-2008

If you are getting different bsod's than there might be some kind of hardware issue in your system. To confirm that you can try doing system restore to a point you were your system was not having any such issue. If that helps than well and good, if not than i'll suggest you to get your system checked from the place you bought it. System restore should help if bsod might be occurring because of any recent change in your system but it wont if there might be any hardware fault.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Tags: , , , ,