Thread: Windows XP x86 vs Windows XP 64-bit

Windows XP x86 vs Windows XP 64-bit

As my title says that I need difference between two system. I am getting choice to buy one among two workstation. The one is new one with Windows XP x86 and the other one is a old Windows XP 64bit device with around 4GB RAM in it. There is no much difference between the price. But I am willing to go for the 64bit edition has it has more ram and higher performance. What do you recommend. I need pc for gaming and graphic editing work.

For gaming stuff you can go with 32bit system as it is new. You will get more warranty in it. You an spend a bit more amount to add a proper GPU and that will do the job. It is not necessary to buy 64bit only. It is right that a 64bit hardware offers you more support but the performance gain lies between 15 to 20% only in comparison to 32bit system. It just has more space for the RAM. For gaming and graphic editing what matters most is the video memory. If that is not available then even on 64bit edition your system will give poor output.

Re: Windows XP x86 vs Windows XP 64-bit

64bit is only worth if you go for the right hardware. Like a nice pair of 2GB sticks with a GPU. In 32 bit you have more options available for upgrade. You can easily find a compatibl ram and applications works properly. 64bit system faces issue with driver compatibility. Anyhow for a gaming system you have to invest some money and buy a gpu or else nothing works out here. One thing I had seen that 64bit system troubles a lot with tons of software's. Like you have to find 64bit edition of application for it. It is just well for high end system. For home usage there is no need to get a 64bit system.

Yes it is right and I too agree with the same. There are fewer support available for 64bit applications. But this system supports backward compatibility where you can run 32bit apps also. My office has 2 workstation which run on 64bit Windows. They are just meant for work. We do not add any application of games in that. Recently someone has attached his bluetooth adapter and tried to install it. There was constant bluescreen after it. The admin has to reformat and install all back again.

More bits means more data processing. For 64bit you have to be specific about the system hardware and software. You must look for those applications only which supports it. Check the system hardware and mention the details here. It is only better to buy if you found all compatible drivers. That is one of the major drawback of this system. 64bit systems is recommended for those who are basically engage in programming.

I have a laptop which has Windows Vista 64bit in it. From weeks I am trying to connect my iPod on it but it is not working. Installed iTunes, did drivers setup, etc nothing worked out. Then a friend told me to search for 64bit version of iTunes. This are some of the most common issues that you will face if you are going to buy that. 32bit are the most simplest one and it does not means they do not work properly. Adding enough RAM with a video memory is quiet more than enough. I hope you are going to get a good cpu also. If you do not want to struggle with driver incompatibility then I would recommend you to stick with 32bit stick only.

It is not all correct to say that there are not 64bit apps or driver or they are very complicated to locate. They are available. All you need is to find the right download site. Like the system manufacturers website provide you all 64bit driver edition. There you can try to keep a backup with you. It is much easier and to some extent it is also very helpful. Almost all popular applications comes for both 32 and 64bit edition and it is quiet not complicated to use.

Almost many popular applications that comes with 32 bit edition work fine on 64bit also. The web browser you use, the office application and even the default media player. So there is nothing to worry. All you have to ensure that you must not install 32bit Windows drivers on 64bit Windows installation. That would make your job a bit more complicated and you will not be able to work. The most common failure that is notice world wide is BSOD due to incompatible files inside the system. Keeping a dual boot is another smarter choice you can go for.