Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Port 21 (FTP) Open. How to close.

Windows x64 Edition

Old 25-01-2008

Port 21 (FTP) Open. How to close.

I have recently tested out my system (Windows vista 64 bit ) security at yougetsignal and have found port 21 to be opened. I have tried blocking access to it using firewall block all access option's and have tried disabling it by changing registry entry for ....DisableStatefulFTP but that's not appearing to be making any difference . I can see it open on yougetsignal and other similar online sites, i wanted to know if there is some other way of closing the port.

Old 25-01-2008

Since it is a FTP port i am not sure if it will be a good idea for closing it, have you checked out the settings on your router? You can also use "netstat -ano" command in command prompt to find out local ports that might be opened.
Old 26-01-2008

Re: Port 21 (FTP) Open. How to close.

You can block it by going in to router management > Storage > FTP Server > FTP Server and disable it from there. In my case router is having storage link and it was using port 21 for attaching storage devices, since i had not connected any storage devices to it i have disabled it. Even if you are not having any storage devices connected to your router than you can disable it without any doubt.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Tags: , , ,