Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

My data drive is write protected, how do I fix this

Windows x64 Edition

Old 11-01-2008

My data drive is write protected, how do I fix this

Since installing latest windows update for my system running 64 bit home premium my second hard drive says that it is write protected and i am not allowed to make any changes in it. I did not had this issue before, i am quite sure that it started after installing some updates. What are my options for fixing this???

Old 11-01-2008

Re: My data drive is write protected, how do I fix this

If you are quite sure that this issue has started after installing window updates than i will suggest you to uninstall those updates. A better idea will be doing system restore to a point before the update got installed. I cant think of any other possible solution in this case. Just try out system restore and let me know if that's helping, You can first try restoring your system after disconnecting your second data drive. If that doesn't make any difference than you can connect it back and try our restore again,best of luck.
Old 11-01-2008

I have tried doing system restore with drive connected as well as disconnected but that did not made any difference in my case. Issue still persist, is there anything else that i can try here after??? Further help regrading this will be very appreciative.
Old 11-01-2008

In that case i will suggest you to copy everything from your second drive somewhere, delete and recreate your partitions, perform a quick format and copy back your data in it. I think this should surely work out for you but i am still wondering why system restore dint worked out for you.
Old 09-10-2010

I will first suggest you to reset CMOS BIOS. you can do that by turning your system off, disconnect power cord,take out the cmos battery from board, wait for some seconds, place it back and turn it on again. If that doesn't work than you can try using some utility for setting write protection. I think trying out these solutions first will be worth rather than formatting the drive completely.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Tags: , , ,