Thread: What does CHKDSK error "Replacing invalid security id..." refers to

What does CHKDSK error "Replacing invalid security id..." refers to

I have a Dell laptop. It is some XP M1710 system. It has Windows Vista 64bit OS. It is working quiet fine. I am using for backups. It is scheduled regularly on automatic basis which is 2 times in a week. I using Norton Ghost 12 for that. The laptop has all updates installed and Ghost looks to be working fine. As the backup is scheduled two times in a week, it stucked @ 40%. The backup takes time but it finishes, and I am noticing from last 2 hours that it is not crossing 40%. The average time of backup is around 90mins. So to ensure everything is all right I canceled it and run chkdsk command to verify my disk integrity. After running chkdks I found that there are around thousands of messages in the command prompt which say some security id invalid. The message keep on appearing. When I search on Microsoft website about the error I found this occur mostly for Windows Servers. Chkdsk is still running. Is this fine or there is some issue with my system.

re: What does CHKDSK error

Let it complete first. I think your system has cause some major issue with system files. And that is due to incomplete or corrupt backup files. Norton Ghost is a nice utility, but when it fails it takes down the entire system. I face this issue on my server where more 100,000 errors are listed and the system just crashed. There was nothing on the screen on reboot. Never cancel those backup things. You will loose your existing data also. You must let Norton Ghost to take as much time as it needs to run the backup.

First you must have avoided using Chkdsk. Do you know what this command does actually. It does not only verifies the system file integrity but replace them if errors are found and there you screwed your system. You must have re-run the backup process first and wait back until it is completed. When you run chkdsk command it checks your drive for corrupt files. And replace them. I think this thing has removed the incomplete or invalid backup files and which in-return will make Ghost unstable. The entire process will affect Vista. Now just wait back or if chkdsk is still running cancel and restart your system. Keep your fingers cross until you get your desktop loaded. As you had cancel the backup your old system image is also gone. The last option here is to run Vista Repair setup. You have to take all data backup manually.

re: What does CHKDSK error

That's a risky business. I do not use Ghost and it is a bit not reliable. Ghost modifies system parameters. It keeps the exact copy of your system partition but if something wrong happen blue screen is the most common cause. Unlike other backup software, if Ghost is screwed up your system also goes with it. And above all you are using the buggy Vista, and that too a 64bit edition. If your desktop does not loads try system restore in Safe mode or through Startup Repair. If somehow it restores your system, run the backup back. That might save your day.

You would have getting this error -- Deleting an index entry with Id 261 from index $SII of file 9 in chkdsk. Now I can give you a short explanation about the error. Basically this type of errors are found on Windows Server's while normal desktop lies a bit away from the same. The NTFS file system or the simply the partition you have use some kind of security descriptor which are in the drive block. And chkdsk removes this and replace the default one. Due to incomplete backup or user defined security settings this things are affected which is then restored by chkdsk and if that works your system is fine or else it will crash.

The link below belongs to Microsoft KB913034 article which put more light on this issue. Somehow the issue is associated with the file permission. If this ends up working after scanning your system is affected severely. The system that I own is a Vista 64. I keep a Ghost image file ready always. So if the system crashes you can simply restore it through the same. Last time due to powecut the system shutdown at the time of backup. I thought it would be better to run chkdsk first and then the backup process. I get the same errors. It took quiet a long time to scan but hopefully everything is working fine.

The Chkdsk.exe utility incorrectly identifies and resets security descriptors in Windows Server 2003