Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor "

Error "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor "

I am almost assembling custom pc for around 2 years. I am having quiet a good knowledge about putting different hardware together and configuring the operating system. I am working on a system which has E6700 Quad Core CPU, Abit AW9D-Max chipset, 2GB RAM and ATI Radeon X1800 XL GPU. It looks like everything is working fine. I can access the bios screen and change settings. After installing Windows Vista 64bit I am getting regular bsod. The system just did not stand stable. First the BSOD appears giving a error - A Clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval. I saw this error first time and not able to under to which hardware it is related. I had checked by changing the RAM and updated bios also. But still nothing worked. The client needs Vista 64bit only. What is the issue with the same. How can I stop this crashing.

There are two thing which you have to do properly. Instead of flashing the bios upgraded to a much newer edition. Do the same for drivers. Just to test disconnect some of the unwanted hardware and install Vista. Then see whether it works or not. It looks a clear issue of hardware conflict.

re: Error

I want to add some more here. I had used Intel CPU Identification Utility, to locate any issue with the processor. I found that the cpu is overclocked. Does the BSOD appear because of that. I had not overclocked it nor installed any utility which does the same. All motherboard settings in bios are on default mode. The utility showed me that all 4 cores for the processor is running @ 2.71GHz while the expected speed is 2.66GHz. This is just a few more clock ration. The same is found for system bus which reported @ 1087MHz while it should be around 1066MHz. Does this is the cause of issue. How to revert the cpu back on normal mode.

It looks very low overclocking. The ranges are inside limit. There must be some kind of utility which is boosting the cpu rate. It can be in bios itself. There might be some automatic overclocking facility which many motherboard has. Go the bios and see if there anything found. In Overclocking system mostly crashes due to poor bios, outdated drivers and low psu. As you said you had a gpu also, what is the psu you are using. It should be higher than 400w I think. Sometime it is better if you test each thing one by one. Get another system. Hook the motherboard only with working ram and processor and test it. Then keep on adding new hardware.

I do not think the issue lies with overclocking. There may be something else in the system which is causing the problem. I have a AMD processor on which I got the same issue. I contacted them and they said updating the latest bios of your motherboard will fix the issue. The error you mentioned is associated with the cpu only. I had seen the problem discussed on number of communities where many said only bios can fix the issue.

Get a good quality psu. This error is common with overclocked cpu which cannot handle it. If you forces the cpu to work on higher clock rate it crashes. It can be due to limitation of cpu , bios or simply a hardware defect with the processor. If you have spare processor, connect that on your new machine and see whether the system crash or not. If not then you can ask the cpu vendor to give you replacement of existing one. Also I hope your Vista is working. Because software fault are common example. 64 bit OS have major compatibility issue with drivers and applications.

Check the cpu temperature. Download and install any small temperature monitor utility. This will guide you about the system temps. If that is hiking or rising, then the issue might be with improper cooling in your system. Somehow I found this a temperature issue. There can be some weak component in your system and you need to identify that. Because even somehow the system worked, after a few months the problem will appear again.

As it a multi core processor, the issue looks with some internal core which either working low or not responding well. Bluescreen is a serious bug and it cannot be ignored. There is a dump file in windows which allows you to rectify the error. There are number of testing utility that comes for Windows. You can run them to identify different hardware problem.

It is a bit complicated to find which hardware is troublesome. There can be some faulty chip in your system. It can related to the cpu or to the motherboard. As you said you had checked the ram so we can ignore it from the list. It is right to check each hardware by replacing them one by one. So at the end there would be finally solution available for you to deal with the same.

re: Error "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor "

I want to addup some of my system issue here. I am too getting a continuous BSOD on my new system. Here is a small glimpse of what hardware I have - EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 KO, Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate, Thermaltake W0106RU 700W power supply, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) & MSI P7N Diamond LGA 775. Now my system is latest. I am getting a constant bluescreen on my system which gives a error related to some IRQL not equal or less. I have around 4GB ram and it a 64bit operating system. The system boot fine. But as I run any Windows Update it crashes. I had already contacted the supplier but still there is no help available. Just for testing I added my friends motherboard and the system started working. But I cannot afford to go for a new motherboard now.

Does updating bios really help to deal with this bsod errors. I do not hope so. If there is a faulty component, then bios update will not at all fix the issue. It is better you replace your motherboard. That is the only way to fix the issue. I had a branded system, which has a alien motherboard inside it. I even do not know the model. I had contacted the vendor and from last 3 months I had not yet received a replacement.

Get your cpu replaced. It is defective and you cannot do anything in that. One of the core in the processor has failed or not working. You will keep getting this error on your system. There is no way to fix that. Try to use a different cpu and check. The system will not crash.

I have a AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+cpu installed in my system. There are two gpu and 1 sticks of 1GB ram installed. My PSU 500w. The system is quiet high end. It was working fine for some couple of years, but suddenly it started crashing. I had seen many 64bit system does not work properly. I had checked the internal temperature which is quiet high and I do not found any way to fix it.

I said above the issue lies with defective processor. Believe me I am having lot of experience with this kind of issue. Even after tons of troubleshooting this would not be solved. There are chances you will keep on getting the same error.

It takes quiet a long time to get replacement for defective processor. I tried the same. I have a AMD processor and blue screen is constant on Vista. Vista is another buggy OS. Windows XP atleast work for few hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast