Thread: Acrobat 8 available with Windows Vista x64 Printer

Acrobat 8 available with Windows Vista x64 Printer

I saw on web that Acrobat 8.0 is released. It has a pdf printer support available for 64bit operating system also. I thought this time also this will be ignored. You can test the trail for the same. Now compare to this there are some cheaper alternative also available that allows you to modify pdf file. But for x64 the supports are bit not proper. For that you need to install the print driver. When I had done with the setup, the application asked to run the print driver which was extracted from Vista installation disc. This was some adobepdf.dll file. When it was not able to locate that automatically I used Winrar to see in the .cab file and locate the download. Somehow it started working. This process is same for Windows XP also.

Thanks for the workaround. That is quiet nice thing you found out. I was too struggling to make Acrobat work on Windows XP x64. The best thing about this pdf file is that there are many application available for it. So those who do not want to use Acrobat can stick with any freeware software.

re: Acrobat 8 available with Windows Vista x64 Printer

My system has a OEM edition of Windows XP 64bit. I did not receive any installation disc with that. I came pre-installed with the system. Now I tried to find the same data1.cab file to extract adobepdf.dll file. At stat it was bit complicated to find. Manually I was not able to get any instances of that cab file. Later on I browse and provided the location of my recovery partition and it worked. Still I feels that this tool is not quiet compatible with Windows x64 edition.

Did you checked inside System32 folder. There are chances that it is located in that directory. You can also try to run a search process in Windows and if still you did not found that you can locate that from web or any other bootable disc. It is just a small dll file.

I'm running Vista x64 and I'm having a problem creating the Adobe PDF port. It keeps saying - "An error occured installing port monitor 'Adobe PDF Port'. Please contact the manufacturer for assistance." I think it's trying to copy AdobePDF.dll to the C:\Windows\System32 directory but I've tried several ways to get the file there. Could it be related to UAC? Is there a way to temporarily remove UAC?

During installation you get a search window looking for AdobePDF.dll. The installation program is looking in the i386 folder for this file. Click the browse button this opens the i386 folder which is empty, click the backup button on the taskbar (next to the new folder button), you will then see 2 folders, AMD64 and i386, open the AMD64 folder and the AdobePDF.dll file is there, highlight it and click continue. Since you've already installed the program, reinstall the program, when you get the choice to modify, repair or uninstall, choose repair. During the repair you will get the search box. If you're running Windows x64 the procedure is different.

Yeah, I got through the search box part fine (repointing it to the AMD64 folder in the Adobe Program Files) and it created the printer but it didn't create the port so my attempts to print document to it goes nowhere. It doesn't try to save it to a file.

Thanks for the information that MSConfig will disable UAC. I tried repairing and disabling UAC and neither helped. For those of you that have Acrobat 8 on Vista 64-bit, do you have the same problem of the printer being created but the port for it not being created correctly or did it work fine the first time?

Thanks!!! I would have never figured this out. I have x64 too and had to get the dll from the data1.cab and rename it.