Thread: Unlocker for x64?

Unlocker for x64?

Is there an working Unlocker for 64bit Windows ?? Unlocker is used for holding a file and closing handle so that it cannot be deleted. I have tried using some on Windows Vista 64bit version but its not working. I will like to know if there is any alternative?

In that case you can use Process Explorer from sysinternals. I have been using it form a long time and it has "Find Handle" command which searches for open files and will let you know which program is having it opened.

Re: Unlocker for x64?

I have 25 years of development experience, and these days I live and breathe on x64 systems so--not having seen an update to unlocker for a long time--I recently wrote the developer personally. I offered (what I thought was) a reasonable request to please effect a minor update to indicate the split between x86 and x64, and to offer assistance if it was simply a time issue (which for many developers it is). Neither really bore fruit.

Perhaps just as a result of a cultural difference, I felt that the response was somewhat more terse than I would have preferred. I tried a couple of times to be pleasant, felt strangely stonewalled, and gave up. Cedrick has responded pleasantly to others, and my feeling is that if an update is forthcoming, it will come in its own sweet time. To put this another way...let's remember that this is a free tool. Maybe send Cedrick some money, 50% now, 50% when x64 is there, lol.

In the meantime, SysInternals tools are fine, albeit cumbersome, and--recently thwarted again by mysteriously locked files--I'll probably write a replacement (for personal use, unless "unlocker" just takes way too long). Other than that, I don't see another elegant solution at this time. Good luck, all.

Re: Unlocker for x64?

Check out LockHunter, it is same as that of Unlocker but unlike Unlocker it is supported by both 32 and 64 bit Windows platforms. I have started using it recently and i find it quite efficient as well.
    Last edited by fivengo; 28-04-2009 at 04:27 PM.

I just stumbled across this post and wanted to let you all know that there is now a 64Bit version of Unlocker 1.9.1 - just be mindful to not install the Bing Bar ;)