Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

SplWOW64.exe prevents RDP sessions from disconnecting.

Windows x64 Edition

Old 27-01-2007

SplWOW64.exe prevents RDP sessions from disconnecting.

I have WS2003/64 bit Terminal Server with all updates and a legacy Delphi application which is ran by Remote Desktop clients. My problem is that splwow64.exe doesn't close after closing the application. I have set up WS2003/64 bit Terminal Server recently and i did not had any such issue when i was using Windows 2000/32 bit Terminal Server. I have tried setting SplWOW64TimeOut to 1 but its not feasible, i mean why should my user client wait for 1 minute to quit. Is there any hack that i can try out so that splwow64.exe gets closed as soon as application gets closed??? If not than i will have to migrate back to Windows 2000/32 bit amd it will be a real pain.

Old 05-05-2009

In that case you can try removing this background process/service form list of TS processes within the registry. If you do so than your SPLwow64.exe will be treated as an application and will get closes as soon as you quite your legacy Delphi application. In ored to do that save below details as msrdp-x64-fix.reg and run the file on any x64 terminal Server.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\SysProcs]
"SPLWOW64.EXE"=dword:00000000

If you have any further query than feel free to ask.
Old 16-02-2012

Re: SplWOW64.exe prevents RDP sessions from disconnecting.

hi all,

I tried this solution and splwow64.exe is still causing the session on our RDS server to hang after the user closes the application. the session stays hung for about 3 minutes and then it closes, but this because the settings on the RDS server set to logoff disconnected session after 1 minute.

did this solution work for anyone else?

Thanks

MJ
Old 23-02-2012

Re: SplWOW64.exe prevents RDP sessions from disconnecting.

Worked like a charm here. Userinit.exe will run for a few moments as well - make sure it's not something hanging open from your logon script. Exit the program launched by RDP, then run Task Manager and kill each task one at a time, closing task manager between tasks to see if the session exits. Thanks for the answer Kirk.RS, even if it was 3 years ago.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Tags: , , , ,