Thread: Windows 64-bit is awful.

Windows 64-bit is awful.

I thought a 64bit system would be much better compared to the regular x86 one. I had purchased the hardware on my own by adding a AMD Athlon processor, a gigabyte bard , around 4 gigs of ram, etc. After configuration the same I installed Windows XP 64bit on the same. Now when the system is ready I had connected my phone, mp3 player and a wifi speaker. Among them nothing is working. The system detects it but it ask for compatible driver. When I searched on Google for driver, I found that the last driver is available for 32bit edition only. I installed that also but still it not working. That simply means I cannot use any additional devices on this system.

This 64bit system are mostly recommended for those who are serious in work and need performance. You cannot just buy a 64bit system and expect that it work well. You must have researched well on Google about this. 64bit system face the maximum issue of driver and software compatibility. There is two things you have to do know. Locate 64bit compatible drivers. Somehow this system support a lower edition also. But it is weird to find that your system is not at all detecting them.

64bit gives you more processing power. I am using Macromedia here for some basic development work. It offers me better option to perform larger task in limited time. 64-bit is beneficial only if you are serious about the performance or else going with the regular 32bit is best. x86 or 32bit systems are widely used. There are tons of applications and drivers available that you can try out. Now once you purchased there is no way to downgrade it. It will be another waste of money. You can do one thing. You can install a 32bit OS on dual boot mode and use your application on that.

Try to run the driver setup under compatibility mode. This will help you in many ways. Ample of 64bit system works with 32bit drivers. But is limited to only some devices. It does not means that Windows 64bit OS is bad. It is just a high end platform and there are wide number of applications/drivers which are only made for 32bit basically. Many popular manufacturer provides both 32 and 64bit driver support. Mention here in detail about the devices you are talking about. There many be some people here who can help you to solve the problem.

Instead of a assembled system if you purchased a branded system then it is more better. It offers you more support. Because as the OS is pre-installed there is nothing to worry about the drivers. The recovery disc that comes with it has all needed drivers and they are also quiet efficient in detecting new hardware. Dual boot can be a wiser choice. You will get two options to run two different OS edition. In case you have virus in any you can use the second to backup or restore old settings.

It is not a awful OS. It is just a bit different. It is not useful for those who do not really need this. If we see end users they mostly work on 32bit OS and we find easy applications and drivers for that. But for 64bit you have to be a bit specific. Certain incompatible application or drivers many cause serious crash. I had seen blue screen commonly on 64bit system due to incompatible drivers. There is nothing you can do. Now there are two thing you can do. One which is mentioned above about the dual boot thing and second using vmware for creating a virual 32bit environment.

I am using Vista 64bit. It is awesome if you use it on 4GB RAM and with atleast 512MB video memory. The gaming performance is far more better compared to any system I had seen. But to some extent older devices do not work. That can be ignored. You had bought a 64bit system. This system has more processing power which allow you to work faster. There are glitches but also there are fixes that you have to locate. Like bluetooth dongles quiet not work properly with the same. The issue lies with driver updates.

Re: Windows 64-bit is awful.

My dad has seen a advertisement by Microsoft which showed 64bit system as the most powerful one. And he bought one. Now he is trying to connect his ipod on it and it is not working. He called me and told him that due to driver issue this might not work. Somehow 64bit system must not be sold so publicly. Because due to minor bugs people are quiet irritated with he same. The same issue appear with the printer. I am thinking of exchanging his laptop with mine which is a 32bit edition. It would help me to carry day to day task. For those who are not aware about drivers and other stuff, the job becames ore complicated.

Compared to 32bit system, 64bit are quiet costlier and that is the reason people feel cheated. Mostly when I bought computer I used my old hard drive, tv tuner card and a usb hub on that. This is what most people do. They need a compatible system which work with common hardware. Fighting with right drivers and then struggling to locate a compatible hardware is a bit waste of time. There is a performance hike, but people are really not interested in the same.

I paid nice amount for a new laptop which has Vista in it. Somehow I have to format and re-install the OS back again. I did that with the Vista disc that I receive with it. Now the laptop sound is horrible. It is not at all working file. When I play some DVD files it becomes complicated to understand the sound quality. I had run the same driver CD. It is the same 64bit OS. Just for testing I added a trial edition of 32bit and it works well.