Thread: Windows 7 x64: Error message ‘task backgroundconfigsurveyor:The task image is corrupt’

Windows 7 x64: Error message ‘task backgroundconfigsurveyor:The task image is corrupt’

I have installed Windows 7 x64 on the computer of mine. Well whenever I launch task scheduler on the computer of mine. I am getting an error message on the screen. The Error message can be stated as follow ’Task BackgroundConfigSurveyor:The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with’ Let me know how can I get rid from this particular error message. Any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciate. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Windows 7 x64: Error message ‘task backgroundconfigsurveyor:The task image is corrupt’

I want to know something more information regarding the computer of yours. Let me know about the hardware configuration of the computer of yours. Do you have done any recent changes on the computer of yours? which antivirus program do you have installed on the computer of yours? Let me know the answers of the above mentioned question as early as possible. I am waiting for the answers of the above mentioned questions.

Re: Windows 7 x64: Error message ‘task backgroundconfigsurveyor:The task image is corrupt’

I am suggesting following solution which you can use to fix the matter of yours.
    • First of all you should launch registry editor on the computer of yours.
    • You have look for the following the registry key into the system of yours.
    • Code:
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack
    • You have to right click on it and backup the registry. Same thing you have to do for the following registry key.
    • Code:
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Plain
    • You have to search for the BackgroundConfigSurveyor and you have to delete the same.
    • Now you should restart the computer and launch the task manager you will not have any error message.

I am suggesting something which would be useful to meet the requirement of yours.
    1. Into the Task Manager you have to navigate to the Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack.
    2. You will not have any task into the center pane.
    3. You have to right click on the same you have to go for Import Task.
    4. Now you have to go for the Open dialog you have to go for the XML files.
    5. You have to search for the BackgroundConfigSurveyor file and restore the same.
    6. A window would be pop up on the screen you have to click on the Ok button.

The problem which you have mentioned over here is happening due to software issue. Well I am suggesting that you should perform a system restore on the computer of yours. you should restore the computer of yours to the point where you was not having the same problem which you have mentioned over here. the process of the system restore would take several minute accomplish. Once the process you have to restart the computer of yours.

I am highly suspecting that the problem which you have mentioned over here is happening due to virus attack on the computer of yours. so I am suggesting that you should get Malwarebytes from the official website. you should download and install on the computer of yours. after installing the same you should update the software. Once you have updated the software you should perform a virus scan on the computer. after performing a virus scan you should restart the computer.

Looking at the situation I am suggesting that you need to run SFC/SCANNOW command on the computer. I am suspecting that the problem which you have mentioned over here is happening due to corruption of the system file. Well I am suggesting that you should run the above mentioned command on the command prompt with the administrative privileges. Once the process is completed you should restart the computer of yours.

TechMan1975 Guest

Hi,

In order to fix this, you have to delete the actual task XML file that contains the task settings, then rerun the Task Scheduler to confirm that the error is gone, then import a non-corrupted version of the task back into the Task Scheduler.
    Most of the work you have to do is to locate the task file in question.
    The task files are located in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks.
    If you try to open the task folder, you might get a UAC prompt asking you for permission to access the folder, this is OK, just click continue to access the folder.
    In my case, the corrupt task was "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector".
    This was a Microsoft task, therefore I had to go into the C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic folder to locate the actual task xml file,
    which was named "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector".

Once you have located the task file, close the task scheduler, back up the corrupted task file to any location of your choice, then delete it, then open the task scheduler to confirm that the error has gone.

What you now need to do is to export the non-corrupted task from another computer or virtual machine, and import it into the task scheduler.
    To export the task in question from another computer, follow these steps.

1. Open the Task Scheduler, then drill down into the task in question, then right-click on the task and select "Export...".
    2. Save the exported XML file to a location of your choosing, then copy it over to the affected computer.
    3. Once you are back on the affected computer, make sure that the task scheduler is closed, then you need to run the task scheduler as an Administrator.
    4. To run the task scheduler as an Administrator, click Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, then locate "Task Scheduler", right-click it and select "Run as Administrator".
    5. Once the task scheduler is open, drill down to the folder where the task is supposed to be located, right-click on a blank portion of the window, and select "Import Task...".
    6. Once you have imported the task, a "Create task" window will open as shown below, just click OK to it.
    7. The task should then be successfully imported, you can then close the task scheduler, and the problem should be fully resolved.