Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot Critical File c:\\ci.dll Corrupted in Windows 7 x64

Boot Critical File c:\\ci.dll Corrupted in Windows 7 x64

I have installed Windows 7 x64 on the computer of mine. Well whenever I boot the computer of mine it simply went to the loading screen of Windows and begins with the start up repair. Then I got the above mentioned error message on the computer screen. Error message can be stated as ‘Boot Critical File c:\\ci.dll Corrupted’. Let me know if you are aware of anything regarding the solution of this particular problem. Any help on this particular matter would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Boot Critical File c:\\ci.dll Corrupted in Windows 7 x64

It really difficult to find out the root cause of the problem. So I am asking some specific question which you should answer so that I can let you about the possible solution to fix the problem of yours. Do you have done any hardware or software changes on the computer? From when you are getting this particular problem. Let me know about the system configuration of the computer of yours? Do you have installed any antivirus program on the computer? Answer the above mentioned question as early as possible.

Looking at the matter which you have mentioned over here I recommend that you should boot the computer of yours into Safe mode. In order to boot your computer into safe mode you have to use following instructions.
    • You should restart the computer and press F8 from the keyboard.
    • It would move to the Advanced Boot Menu screen where you have to select Safe Mode by using the Arrow key and press enter after selecting the same.
    • Now see that you are getting the issue or not.

I am highly suspecting that the problem which you have mentioned over here is happening due to corruption of the system files. So I recommend that you should run SFC/SCANNOW command on the command prompt. This particular command is used to replace the corrupted or missing files on the computer of yours. Well you need to see that you have launched the command prompt with administrative privileges. Once you have done with the process you should reboot the computer of yours.

In order to fix the matter of yours I am suggesting that you should perform a system restore on the computer of yours. Well you need to go for the command prompt with administrative privileges and simply enter rstrui.exe and press enter form the keyboard. Now you should select the system restore point prior to the happening of the problem. Once you have completed with the process you should restart the computer and see whether you are having the issue or not.

I think you need to perform Virus scan on the computer. Well I recommend that you should get the Malwarebytes from the official website. you should download and install the same on the computer of yours. after installing you should update with the latest antivirus signature. After completing with all these stuffs you have to run a virus scan on the computer. after completing with the virus scan you should reboot the computer of yours.

Let me know whether any of the above mentioned solution worked for you or not. Well if none of above mentioned thing were not worked then I think you need to format the computer and install fresh copy of the Windows. Also I recommend that you should install the latest updates of the Windows 7 on the computer of yours. So let me know whether formatting the computer of yours worked for you or not.

I have this same issue. Startup Repair tells me ci.dll is corrupt. I could not boot into Safe Mode. I downloaded a bootable antivirus and it found nothing. I tried starting up with executable verification disabled and it booted normally. Finally I ran SFC /SCANFILE=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CI.DLL and it said the file is fine. I ran SFC /verifyonly and it told me there were no issues. Reboot again and it takes me to Startup Repair.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 31-05-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Hi jmucchiello,

Follow the below method to rectify your issue:

1. Boot into the System Recovery Options screen.

2. Click on the Command option.

3. Put the cd onto which you have copied the ci.dll file in the drive

4. Assuming your optical drive is E ( if not, use whatever letter it is ) at the command prompt, type

copy E:\ci.dll C:\Windows\System32

then press enter

If prompted to overwite the existing file, type y and press enter.

Assuming it tells you it was successful, remove the cd and restart.

Did not work. I forgot to mention I did comp against the ci.dll on c: and the recovery partition and they were identical files. I copied ci.dll from a different machine also running Win7 x64 and it still fails to boot taking me to startup repair. The repair diagnostic still says ci.dll is corrupt.
    Last edited by jmucchiello; 31-05-2011 at 10:23 AM.

I would recommend you to run SFC (system file checker) scan from the Windows Recovery Environment mode.
    • If you are having the installation CD/DVD of Windows 7 then insert it in your DVD-ROM.
    • If an auto-menu is popping up then close it by clicking on Exit option.
    • Go to Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
    • Right click Command prompt and run it as Administrator.
    • If the system is asking for any password or any other confirmation then please enter the password and click on Allow.
    • Type sfc/scannow in the command prompt and hit the Enter key.
    • Let the process to get completed, as it might take many hours.

I ran sfc /verifyonly and it found no issues. I don't have a bootable install disk to run this from. I booted the system with executable verification disabled and ran it from an administrator command prompt.

Clamwin antivirus found one virus and removed it. It didn't help.
    Spybot found a suspicious trojan and removed it. It hasn't helped either.

Tonight I'll kick off sfc /scannow if that could make a difference (instead of verifyonly).

Have you tried to take the hard drive out of the pc and put it into a External Enclosures that could be picked up at computer store. After that you just have to put the hard drive into the enclosure and plug it into another computer through USB, eStata or Firewire. Just run a virus scan with Microsoft Security Essetials and see if you can find anything. I also had a problem like this, I plugged the hard drive into another computer and scaned with Microsoft Security Essentials and it picked up a and removed it.

It's a laptop computer and while I've put together many machines I've never played with laptop components. The user of the computer really just surfs the web with Firefox, writes papers for college with Office and plays games (most likely the source of the virus unless she disabled all the security add-ons I'd put on Firefox). And she really needs the machine back to do college work. It might be easier at this point to do a format and install. I've already copied all the documents off to a DVD-R.

Code Integrity (CI) protects Windows 7 by verifying that system binaries haven’t been tampered with by malicious code and by ensuring that there are no unsigned drivers running in kernel mode on the system.

Try these steps:
    1. Unplug any USB devices.

2. Boot normally. If still problem reboot to Safe mode (by pressing F8 at startup).

3. Uninstall any software you recently installed. (if this software is Windows installer based you will not be able to uninstall it in Safe mode).

4. Use Msconfig to disable all startup programs.

5. Try a normal boot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast