Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Removing context menu entries from the Windows 7 x64

Windows x64 Edition

Old 13-05-2011

Removing context menu entries from the Windows 7 x64

I have installed Windows 7 x64 in my system recently and i want to know if it is possible to remove context menu entries?? I have checked about this and have got varying answers. Some said it's not possible where as some said its possible by doing some hack in registry. So if it is actually possible than i will like to know how? Thanks in advance.

Old 13-05-2011

You can use some third party application for removing context menu entries, the one i am aware of is Context Menu Editor 1.0. Its a freeware and you can download it from its official website. Using Context Menu Editor you will be able to view and delete links to the program in Context menu. it wont delete the program but it will delete its entries from the context menu. Just make sure that you are careful while deleting entries because if you delete entry of some other program by mistake then you will have to install it again.
Old 13-05-2011

Re: Removing context menu entries from the Windows 7 x64

Its not necessary to use a third party application for removing context menu entries, you can do that using registry editor as well. You just have to go to start, click on run, type "regedit" without quotes and click on OK. Once registry editor gets opened you will have to remove below registry keys and reboot your system.
Code:
 [HKCR\Folder\Shell\]
 [HKCR\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\]
 [HKCR\Directory\Shell\]
 [HKCR\Directory\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\]  [HKCR\AllFilesystemObjects\shell\]
 [HKCR \ AllFilesystemObjects \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers\]
Note - Just make sure that you are backing up your current registry before removing above registry keys to be at safer side.
Old 13-05-2011

Using registry editor is a good idea but not all people are aware of it. I have used ShellMenuView for removing context menu entries from my Windows 7 x64 system and I'll suggest you the same. ShellMenuView Is a small utility used for displaying list of static menu items that appear in Context menu. You can simply disable unwanted menu items from the list.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows x64 Edition
Tags: , , , ,