Thread: Windows 7x64: What is OEM partition?

Windows 7x64: What is OEM partition?

I have bought a Dell laptop running Windows 7 x64 and i have come across OEM partition. I want to know what exactly is it and why is it used for ? Is it useful or i should erase it from my system?? any ideas???

Re: Windows 7x64: What is OEM partition?

OEM partition is a small bootable drive used for repairing OEM operating system, it is used for restoring system to factory state. You should not erase OEM drive, as it is considered as recovery partition. I really don't recommend removing it. If you want you can create bootable recovery DVD from OEM driv using vendor recovery tool and delete it from your system later. You will have to use some tool for removing recovery partition as you wont see delete option when you right click on it.

One can follow below steps for deleting OEM partition rather than using any tool, Just make sure that you are deleting it after making a bootable recovery DVD from it.
    1. Go to start, click on run, type ‘diskpart’ and click on ok.
    2. Once you see black window opened, select the disk in which OEM partition is located and type "delete partition override" without quote for deleting itverride

Hope that helps.

Yes OEM drive is considered as recovery disc and it contains backup of factory conditions of a system. It is used for formatting hard drive and reinstalling operating system. It is quite useful in cases where windows get corrupted or any serious issue that requires re-installation.