Thread: Windows 7x64: SFC/SCANNOW is not working.

Windows 7x64: SFC/SCANNOW is not working.

I have a system running Windows 7x64 and i don't know why SFC/SCANNOW is not working in it. Actually my system is facing some instability, it had happened before as well and SFC/SCANNOW command had fixed it. Don't know what's wrong with it this time, i have tried running SFC/SCANNOW command many times but the scanning process doesn't start at all. Does that mean my system has got corrupted?? Is there anything i can try out to fix it???

Re: Windows 7x64: SFC/SCANNOW is not working.

I am not sure but i think that your system has got affected by virus because of which SFC/SCANNOW command is not able to trigger it's scan. I want to know if you are having antivirus installed in your system?? If yes than run a through scan and see if it is detecting anything. If not than download and install recommended ones like malwarebytes and scan your system thoroughly.

Have you tried running SFC/SCANNOW command in safe mode? If not than give that a shot and see if it is running there. You just have to restart your system and tap F8 while it boots for entering Safe mode from the Advanced Boot Option. Once you have booted successfully in Safe mode you can try running SFC/SCANNOW command again. Just try it out and let me know if that helps.

It seems as if your user profile has got corrupted, if possible create a new user profile and try running SFC/SCANNOW command after that.

Try performing below steps and see if you are getting any help from it.
    • Go to Start, click on Run, type ‘service.msc’ without quotes and click on OK.
    • Check out for Remote Procedure Call and make sure that it is switched on.
    • Reboot your system and try running SFC/SCANNOW command

Hope that helps.

You can try out the solution mentioned above but if they don't make any difference in your case than i guess your system might have got corrupted. If you have original windows installation disk than you can start Windows 7 Startup Repair process after booting from DVD. You can refer to below steps for repairing windows.
    • Boot from windows DVD, Select Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method , click on Repair your computer link.
    • Select Windows 7 for performing Startup Repair , click on Next and click on Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools and follow some onscreen instruction further for completing the process.