Thread: How to remove desktop.ini file from the desktop Windows 7 x64?

How to remove desktop.ini file from the desktop Windows 7 x64?

I have installed Windows 7 x64 on the computer of mine. Well I really loved the look and feel of this particular operating system Windows 7 x64. Recently I have found ‘Desktop.ini’ icons on the desktop of the computer of mine. Well I really don’t know what this ‘Desktop.ini’ file and how to remove the same from the computer of mine. Any suggestion to fix the problem of mine will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: How to remove desktop.ini file from the desktop Windows 7 x64?

I let you know something about the Desktop.ini files which is appearing on the computer of yours. Well this Desktop.ini file is a system file and it is having System, Hidden and Read-only attributes assigned to it. This file can be being displayed if there are any changes done in the attributes which are mentioned in the file of it. So I think you need to look on the file and see which attributes are changed and let me know so that I can let you what steps you should perform to fix the problem.

You can use the following instruction in order to hide the Desktop.ini file on the computer of yours. in this particular solution we are going to disable Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
    • You have to launch windows explorer on the computer of yours.
    • Now you have to click on the Organize and go for Folder and click on the Search Option.
    • You have to choose View tab and check the ‘Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)’. This will make Desktop.ini file no longer visible on the computer of yours.

Well thanks a lot for the instruction which you have provided over here. Well I tried with the hiding the Desktop.ini file on the computer by using the instruction of yours. It seems to not visible until and unless the computer gets restarted. Well now I am clue less what should I do to solve this particular problem. Let me know if you are having any other suggestion to meet the requirement of mine. anyway thanks again.

Well looking at the situation which you have provided in above mentioned thread I am providing some specific solution to fix the problem of yours.
    • You have to launch Command prompt on the computer of yours. you have to click on the Start button and go for the startsearch box type CMD and press enter. Make sure that you are running the command prompt as Administrator of the computer.
    • Now execute the following command and press enter. Make sure that you have copy paste the above mentioned command on the command prompt.
    Let me know the result of the above mentioned thing.

Looking on the matter I am providing following instruction.
    • You have to search for the desktop.ini file on the computer of yours from the Search option of the Start menu. Copy pastes the file path of the desktop.ini file.
    • Now go for command prompt and execute the following commands on the computer of yours.
    Code:
    dir /A name_of_the_folder
    Now change the directory
    Code:
    cd name_of_the_folder
    Now use the following command to delete the file
    Code:
    del "name_of_the_file".
    To delete entire folder use the following command.
    Code:
    rmdir /S name_of_the_folder
    Now kill the desktop.ini process by clicking on End Process.

Why are you so desperate to remove desktop.ini file from the computer of yours? Well I think this I file in not harmful if it is appearing on the computer of yours. so it will be fine if you do not delete the file from the computer of yours. Instead hiding the file would be a better option for you. Well the instruction to hiding the desktop.ini file is already mentioned by the one of the user in this particular thread.