Thread: Windows 7 x64: MBR corrupted of hard disk in AHCI Mode

Windows 7 x64: MBR corrupted of hard disk in AHCI Mode

Today morning I have downloaded Windows 7 RC x64 from the official website of the Microsoft. I am having 4 SATA2 hard disks which are in AHCI mode. I have turn off all the hard drive except the one on which I am installing operating system. After rebooting system gets freeze at the boot screen only. I have searched on the Google regarding this issue but I was unable to figure out the problem. I think MBR of the windows 7 is corrupted during the installation process. If you have any idea about this solution please reply. Thanks a lot.

Re: Windows 7 x64: MBR corrupted of hard disk in AHCI Mode

I have used the following steps to install the Windows 7 on my computer. I have done low level format on the hard disk which was freezing at the time of boot. Second thing I have done is to change SATA mode to AHCI or RAID. I recommended you that you should choose RAID since it more compatible with the in general use of the operating system. Now you should reinstall Windows 7 x64 RC on the hard disk by means of latest RAID or AHCI drivers. You should not use default drivers of windows which is provided. Well MBR was not replaced while you are trying to install OS. By low level format you can fix the problem. So try it and let me know whether helped you or not.

Well I want to ask some question to you so that I can learn about the problem. You told me that you turn off all the hard disk except the one on which you are installing the operating system. So tell me whether you turn on all the off hard disk after the completing the installation process. Once you have switched on the all the hard drives MBR gets corrupted or not if MBR is corrupted then I think there is another operating system on other hard disk which is causing the problem. I think your computer is getting confused between the two different file which are you having on two different hard disk. By default windows 7 writes boot file on the previous version of the os but incase if no boot file is found then it creates anew boot file which is the root cause of the problem.

I have used the following steps to solve the matter. I have turn off the computer and all the hard disk except the one on which I wanted to install operating system. I have changed the mode to AHCI mode. I have boot the system using DVD and deleted the existing partition from the hard disk. Complete the installation process. Now boot the hard disk and install all the necessary drivers and also update the drivers if required. Now turn on the hard drive and change the name of the hard drive with corresponding letter.

Well I want to say thank you to all of you who have replied with me solution over here. Well I have resolved my issue. There was something wrong with MBR file which was stored on the hard disk. Using your instruction I have no issue so far while using windows 7 x64. So it was great solution which you have provided. I really want to appreciate your efforts that you have put in. again want to say thank you to all of you.