Thread: Unable to Copy large files in windows 7 x64 professional

Unable to Copy large files in windows 7 x64 professional

I have installed Windows 7 x64 in my system recently and i am facing a very weird issue with it. Whenever i try to copy and paste size greater than 1 GB from my pc to USB or external hard disk than my transferring process gets too slow. I have to cancel the process sometimes in between. I never had any such issue while running windows xp, i want to know what will i have to do to fix this???

I see a number of people facing this issue especially with windows 7 x64. I don't know if it is specific to it as i haven't used windows 7 x64. I have been running windows 7 32- bit in my system and i use a third party application called Teracopy for transferring data. It will allow you to transfer date from your system to any media at fastest possible speed, it is supported by Windows 7 x64 and a free version of it is available as well. Just check it out and see if you like it. There are some other third party application's like Teracopy but Teracopy is simply the best.

Re: Unable to Copy large files in windows 7 x64 professional

There are possibilities where your hard drive might be having bad sector because of which transferring operation might be getting slower. In order to fix bad sector in your hard drive you can use chkdsk command, you just have to open command prompt, type chkdsk [Drive letter] /f and hit enter. After that you can use chkdsk [Drive letter] /R for locating and fixing bad sectors. Just try it out and let me know if it makes any difference in your case.

I want to know if your USB or external drive are NTFS formatted?? If not than you can follow below solution for doing that.
    • Right click on USB or external drive , select properties and click on Hardware tab.
    • Now select drive , click on Properties below drivers and select Policies tab.
    • After that Select "Optimize for performance" and click on ok. For formatting your USB or external drive, select format, select NTFS in File System and click on Quick Format.

Hope that helps.

Have you turned off "auto tuning" in your computer for copy pasting large files? If you haven't and if you are not aware of it than go to start, click on run , type "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" without quotes and hit enter. Make sure that you are restarting your system after executing the command. If turning "auto tuning" off doesn't make any difference in your case than you can type "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal" for turning it on again.