Thread: How to install x86 .inf file over Windows 7 64 bit?

How to install x86 .inf file over Windows 7 64 bit?

I am having USB scanner UMAX Astra 4500, i have tried installing Windows XP x86 driver v.2.6,vista x86 driver v2.6. as well as XP x86 driver but i am getting an error message saying "The INF file your selected does not support this method of installation". I have tried installing the driver using windows update but than i get another error message saying "Windows could not find driver software for you device.". If i point the updater to Astra4500.inf than it says "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems." I am just running out of ideas now and i dont know what to try out further, Is there anyone who can help? Thanks in advance.

RE: How to install x86 .inf file over Windows 7 64 bit?

As far as i am aware x86 drivers can't be installed on x64 systems but i have come across some people who have install a Virtual Machine inside Windows 7 x64 and have setup an x86 OS inside for install scanner software. If you dint mind trying that than you can give it a try. I dont think there is anything else that you will be able to do to install it on x64 systems, no matter if you edit infi file. Some people have already tried that and have failed.

Yes Astra 4500 is an old scanner and Umax has not yet written any 64-bit drivers for it. If possible than contact your manufacturer and see what they have to say about it, if they might have produced WIA driver than they will help you out.