Thread: Microsoft Update KB973869 keeps on installing

Microsoft Update KB973869 keeps on installing

After running fresh Windows update check I found around 13 pending updates. There is one one client system which shows this pending updates. Approving them in WSUS in Windows Server 2003, it must install on its own. Now when I check in the workstation the update KB973869. This keeps on re-installing on its own and it shows pending always. I hope there would be some way to permanently install the same. It is just showing up in pending update.

I have Windows Server 2003 x64 edition. My WSUS shows to all updates are approved and ported to 15 workstations. But still there is a single client system that gives the same number pending. I did a manual installation on the single client system, but still the update looks missing. There is no hotfix available for that. As it is a important security update, we cannot ignore the same. The update looks broken due to which it is not getting installed. While the update is listed as installed on other workstations.

re: Microsoft Update KB973869 keeps on installing

The most common issue with update failure is low disc space or low file permission where after installation the updates are not allowed to write data. Go in Windows directory and look for Software Distribution folder under System32. This is the location where all updates are downloaded and you can wipe them out. Check that the Windows directory has ample of free space available or else the error will be constant.

This looks a common issue with all Windows XP 64bit system only. I have around 3 workstations running on 32bit Windows XP and they had accepted the update. There many errors listed under the installation log in windows directory. The error looks to be some issue with registry. Some of the glimpses of error log is RegQueryValueEx failed with error 0x2. What does this means actually. A hotfix is capable of fixing the issue.

This are common issue with updates and there are chances that broken updates are provided. You can keep on checking and approving the update until this is resolved finally. I am quiet sure that Microsoft will provide a replaced update for the same soon.

If th update is not broken then this kind of stuff would not have happen. It looks there is some configuration error involved in the update and I am expecting a patch for it. I had seen a number of Windows Update errors. But soon it is replaced and a working update is released in its place. You can report the error to Microsoft and wait back for reply. I hope a single pending update is not going to affect your system security.

If they are charging big bucks for their sophisticated software, then they should do the testing (getting a free service). Why should we do the testing for them? In that case they should pay us back for each bug we report.

Nothing Personal. I am not perfect and I pay the price for my mistake. Hope you too. But this looks like an oversight. In that case, they should stopped distributing the fix.

I am bit confused here. I thought the issue is with my server settings and I had reconfigured all stuff back from scratch. That wasted a lot time. Now as mentioned over here, manual update also cannot fix the issue. So what can be done to get rid of errors. I need to answer my seniors here. I cannot just ignore the error. I too agree with broken updates. I had tried to find the information on this update on Google and found that this is one of the most important security update needed for entire network security. This is a bit unacceptable for me to ignore it. Microsoft must use some alternate location to provide this updates.

It is a buggy update. Do not worry about that. Because of the update is proper it would have started working. The first post says that there is a round 13 updates listed among which only 1 is pending. So it is straight that the update will not work even after manual installation. The WSUS is working fine. You can wait back to find a solution for it. I had seen a similar type of discussion on Microsoft forums also. So it looks we are not the only people who are dealing with this.

The problem is only with 64-bit servers. And this is my personal experience that many 64bit servers are affected by buggy updates and drivers. Somehow it looks the provider is not really interested is creating separate platform for a 64bit platform. A common update is shared among all, and at some place it works while at some it not. My entire office has around 4 64bit server configured and all of them are showing the same issue. I had for time being ignored the update and will back until finally get a patch that really works.

Wait for the patch. Everytime when this kind of issue appears, Microsoft releases a patch or hotfix. I had found this for some buggy updates which fails to install automatically through WSUS. But running the patch on system fixed the issue. You will be notified when the patch is out or you can simply keep a eye on the official website.

Last thing I got was an e-mail from an engineer on the PSS Security Team on Friday indicating they were working on it, and now this morning I see that my x64 machines are also 100% up to date. They must have pushed out a revision to the update with the correct detection logic.