Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error 1628: Failed to complete installation.

Error 1628: Failed to complete installation.

I am getting a error continously on my system while installing a game patch. I am using Windows XP PRo 64bit edition OS in my system. I have a AMD processor. Now as it is a 64 bit edition system I thought this would give a much better performance. But I never thought that I will be facing this kid of issue while working on it. I am playing Call of Duty. I am trying to add some patches which give the following error. The latest patch that I had downloaded is some 580MB. After download it not installing and crash with error code 1628.

Re: Error 1628: Failed to complete installation.

I have exactly the same problem, but do not have any answers. I can't install the latest v1.4 patch for Call of Duty World at War on my Windows XP Pro x64bit system. I tried all the recommended fixes on google, ie. making sure my windows installer was fully updated, cleaning out temp files, installing in safe mode, etc, but nothing works.

It looks like due to low permission this thing is happening. For that there is a small fix that might help you to some extent. For that go on Control Panel and then click on Local Security Settings. In that look for Software Restriction Policies. Double click on Enforcement and choose Apply Software Restriction. Check that you allow all users there. This would give the admin rights to run patches and software in your system. I hope this would be the only issue. About patches I am not sure whether they work or don't work on different hardware architecture.

Thanks for that answer. It really worked for me. I had seen the settings before and was not able to locate any software restrictions. If you are still confused with the settings then you can find the same under Performance Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Software Restriction. You just need to double click to create one and set a fresh policy. That's all. Then try back to run the patch it would work.

This solution works in some system only. I am not playing COD, but a different war game. It is also having a set of patch files which weigh around 300MB in all. When I run first couple of files I found a crash error. I re-downloaded them, follow the above steps but nothing worked out. Later on I had asked a question on the official forums, which says that the patch does not work for 64bit system.

Does there is different settings for doing the same in Vista. I am not able to find answers for the same. I am not a techie guy here. I need some plain steps to perform the same in Vista. I am getting exactly the same error in my system. I am having Vista 32bit and while running COD patches the error appears. I had tried to re-download wondering it is not proper. But I hope the above option will work for the 32bit edition of Windows also.

It is better if you can explain in detailed way. What error you got and when. At the time of running patch or at the time of installing the video game. I had face this issue before on 64bit Windows. It was due to some missing or corrupt game files. I have to re-install a number of time to make it work. There is a error log in Windows which has complete detail on the same. You can read those logs to find what hardware or file is actually messing around.

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to get rid of this issue and it was not working at all. I and my friend were installing this game. We downloaded the patch. My friend has 32bit laptop while my desktop is 64Bit. The game installed well on his system with patches while my crash with Error 1628. I had followed those Software Restriction policy process and it worked. This is quiet easy solution. But does anyone found the reason behind this. I thought the game patch is not compatible with my system and due to which I am getting the error. But story here is entirely different.

I had just purchased a DVD of Ashes Cricket 2009. I had bought the same from a nearby retail store. Now when I insert the disc it launches the game installation menu. But when hit install I am getting the same 1628 error which is mentioned above. Now this a full game not patch, so there should not be any issue. I have a Vista 64bit system. I had installed some games before, they worked fine. On many forums I am getting the same solution of modifying software restriction. But I am not sure that would help.

I want to thanks all people above who had posted the solution. This really worked for me. I am playing the game game and it crashed with running patch. I had sent a mail to the game developer which yet not replied. The error is bit weird. The error was resolved on my system by running the game setup as administrator. The software restriction thing worked in my friend laptop. I am really eager to know the reason behind it. If this is some kind of bugs with x64 systems then this would be going to appear on different games also.

If that does not work for you then simply turn off your antivirus for some time. It is due to the security policies the game installer is not able to run. Then try to install it back again. Fiddling with software policies may not be easy with all. I play lots of game and face this error a number of time. In Vista if you try to run some old games you might get a crash error. Try the compatibility mode but do not forget to do that under Admin rights. That is the only best way to fix this stuff.

I want some more help here. None of the solution mentioned above worked in my system. I have a disc of Bully Scholarship edition. When I try to run patch it gives me the same error. I cannot play without patch as the game is not at all stable. Whenever I run the setup I receive a message on screen that preparing to install and then crashes instantly. I had tried to find the same from a various number of website but not ale to locate it. What should I do know. I am having Windows Vista x64 system.

Did you verified that your Windows installer is working or not. You must try to run some other setup just to test. Sometime it is needed to upgrade the installer or else this kind of errors are very common. In a new OS or while running Windows Update, a number of new stuffs are already installed. Run cmd and the type sfc /scannow and hit enter. Let the scan complete which will verify all system file integrity. If this still does not work and other setups are also failing then the only option that remains is running a Repair Windows Setup through installation disc.

I had failed number of times in installing Cricket 2009 and nothing worked out. First the setup goes well. There were no error. But when I try to launch the game or run some patches it crashes. I had uninstalled and installed the same number of time. I had managed to modify the software enforcement settings also. But there is no luck at all.

Now the Software Restriction solution is working in my Vista system. There might be some issue with your system. You must post the log information here to give us more details. You can find that in Event Viewer which is located inside Administrative Tool in Control Panel. Run that and check the logs. You can find the exact error there along with the associated service which has caused it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast