Thread: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs

Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs

I bought a Dell laptop just about a week ago that came pre-installed with Windows Vista and already started getting critical problems with the system. Whenever I go to System properties > System Protection Tab, the Available Disk just keep on searching. My all restore points are freezed up because buttons for System Restore and Create restore are completely grayed out. They are just unclickable.

Along with this and i guess due to this am also not able to install the Updates. Whenever Windows tries installing updates system gets hang. Somebody please provide some working solution. Thank you.

Re: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs

Don’t know what could be the exact cause of the problem but can suggest you something that might help you fixing the same. First of all go to Start > Programs > Accessories and run Disk Cleanup Utility. Search and delete all restore points except the most latest one. Once done, go to System Restore Tab under system properties and disable the System Restore. Now restart the laptop and go again Enable System restore. Now set it to only monitor System Restore for C drive instead of all partitions. It should work.

Re: Cannot create System Restore point; Windows Update hangs

Thanks a lot for the help and solutions T.J. but I already tried doing the same earlier using the Disk Cleanup. Unfortunately even Disk Cleanup turns completely unresponsive while doing the same.

That dint helped. Anything else please ?

instead of getting so frustated and tryingto get it solve your self, as you said the laptop is just a week old, why dont you just call Dell and let them get it done as it is still under warranty ? I think that is the best solution. if they can't fix it, they will provide your replacement for the same. if you willing to go go for the same, here are the contacts for Dell:
    http://support.dell.com/support/topi...n&s=dhs&~tab=1