Thread: Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)

Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)

Am using Windows Vista on HP Pavilion. As my titles says, my system won’t get shut down most of the time. By saying most of the time, I mean if I try shutting it down for 5 times, it will shut down only 2 times. And rest of the times I need to do hard shutdown by holding the power button for about 10 seconds.

Any idea what can be the cause of this problem?

Re: Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)

I have been through this problem for months and the common thing is HP. I was also facing the issue on HP Compaq and I guess the problem is with HP itself. Anyways, after doing lots of workaround in my case, I was able to find out the cause and it was wireless mouse. Are you also using any such wireless device with your laptop ? Also what is the complete make model of your system ?

Re: Computer Won't Shut Down (HP Desktop)

It is HP Pavilion m7790y laptop and yes, I am using wireless mouse/keyboard with the same. Can this be the problem ?

Thanks again for your help buddy.

Yes, those wireless devices could be the cause of the problem. Remember that the very 1st Law of Driver Updates is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Have you recently upgraded the drivers for your wireless, mouse and keyboard? You should not do this unless and until it is creating any problem. And furthermore, you should never update drivers through windows update, always go to the manufacturers website and get drivers. Now in this case, as there is a problem you will need to try out installing the drivers again but do it from their office websites.

Secondly reason that can prevent shutting donw the system is any particular program and/or process that refuses to exit. Most probably these programs could be the malware or legitimate programs such as Norton or McAfee. So if you are using any of these programs, you must uninstall them and go for some light antivirus such as NOD32, Kasperksy, or Avast. This will help you getting rid of the problem.