Thread: KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow

KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow

Two days ago after installing KB941600 I noticed that while running system file checker (SFC.EXE /SCANNOW) reports the following error:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."

I noticed this on both 32bit and 64bit operating systems. I checked the KB928228 and KB929833 CBS.log file but that doesn’t reports anything corrupted. Later I called Microsoft guy and we had discussion for long hours. Finally the only solution that came out is installing a hotfix that offers baseline quality level for the USB Core Components in Vista.

Did anyone of you faced such error? Also how can a hotfix cause system state corruption?

Re: KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow

Yeah, Even I noticed the same. Today my system was running slow hence I tried running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW but that ended up with the same error. Also I am no more able to get access to CBS log. There is only one Admin account on this PC and am logged in with the same. Still not getting the access to CBS, so can’t say what is reported in the log. Is there any fix for the same.

If you are not getting the access to CBS log file, then simply copy the file to some another location, probably to My Documents. Now double click to open the same, you will get a pop up for administration access, just press Continue and the file should open.

Try this out. Open command prompt as Administrator and type chkdsk /R, press Enter. Restart the computer and let it complete the process. This will repair if there is any disk error. Once done, restart again and try installing SP1.

Am not sure whether KB 941600 is the culprit because I have this installed on my Vista system but dint got any error while running system file checker.

RE: KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow

I think I got the solution for this. I too was having the same problem earlier. After spending lot of time on the same I found that by running the following command in CMD we can fix the SFC errors. I have tried the same and it is very helpful. You can also try running SFC /scannow in safe mode command prompt, that is really helpful too.