Thread: werfault.exe and wermgr.exe causing 100% CPU

I am running Windows Vista Business edition with Office 2007. Yesterday after completing my work I installed some updates and since then my Outlook stopped working. Whenever I try to send any email from Outlook it just crashes. Later I found that my CPU is constantly at 100%. When I clicked the process tab, I saw two processes eating up to 100%, that is werfault.exe and wermgr.exe.

Though I kill these processes, still there is no help. I thought there could be any virus creating the problem, hence ran the scan but nothing helped.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ? if yes, please help me out.

The same process is creating the problem for me as well. My Antivirus Webroot is blocking this process to start but it keeps on appearing every 10 minutes. Sorry to say that though this is Vista forum, am using Windows 7. But i posted here because of the same process. Anyway, coming to the same, though it is blocked every time, I am not getting to get rid of it permanently. But I would like to know if am doing correct by removing or deleting it permanently?

Re: werfault.exe and wermgr.exe causing 100% CPU

100% CPU utilisation happened to me after installing PC Tools on Vista. I don’t know why, but I fixed it by disabling the service. Not elegant, but effective.

To disable the Windows Error Reporting Service (WerSvc) using control panel:

1. Open control panel.
    2. Select "System & Maintenance"
    3. Select "Administrative Tools"
    4. Select "Services"
    5. Right-Click "Windows Error Reporting Service"
    6. Select "Properties"
    7. In the "Service Status" Section Click [Stop]
    8. Set "Startup type:" to "Manual" or if this is started by another application select "Disabled"
    9. Save and close the dialog boxes.

CPU utilisation returned to normal immediately.

Thanks, I'll try it! Can't hurt anyway!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I shut off the Windows Problem Reporting and my processer immediately went blessedly silent and everything runs like it's a brand new computer!

Re: werfault.exe and wermgr.exe causing 100% CPU

I have disabled the service via : Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, right clicking on Windows Error Reporting and changed Startup Type on the General Tab to Disabled. However, it still runs when I reboot the system and shows up in Task Manager. Checking back to Services it is still set to Disabled.

So how do I really disable werfault.exe?

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: wermgr.exe
    Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Application Timestamp: 47918ca1
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18005
    Fault Module Timestamp: 49e03821
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00068e8f
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 3a66
    Additional Information 2: 1af650135df1a15ee06b2b75c81b8f29
    Additional Information 3: 3dcd
    Additional Information 4: 3815a6e72e9c74511d5ab49473ef23d3
    Windows vista home premium Service Pack 2
    32 bit OS

Ok read through what the solutions said at the bottom and basically what that did was turn off your windows error reporting. Now here is another solution that worked for me, go to your run box type in msconfig, hit enter, click yes if it's not ran as administrator, click SERVICES tab, look at the bottom of the box and check the box that says Hide all Microsoft Services, then disable all, then check your Virus Protection Services and your Display Driver Services, and your Audio driver services, next click on STARTUP then disable all, then check your virus protection, Java, Synaptics, and NVIDIA or Radeon whichever display driver you may have, click ok or apply, and restart computer, once windows has come back up, shut the computer down for 10 seconds and turn it back on. see if you still get the error. I will continue doing research on what might causing the Wermgr error. hope this helps.

also i would like to throw in there that I updated this computers windows to every possible update there is, I uninstalled any unnecessary tool bar that is in your Control Panel and Uninstall Programs, also I went into Firefox and uninstalled any of those Add Ons that didn't need to be in there. so far, this computer has not received anymore errors about the wermgr.exe also I did go into Color Management for this computer was having some issues with a vertical line going up and down across it, and changing the performance of the computer, and including, changing the Color Management to the default driver, and also uninstalling unnecessary programs seems to have solved a lot of issues, also suggest, that you do a disk clean up, and disk defragment, and then hit F8 when your computer is booting up, go into Safe Mode with Networking and download Malware Anti Malwarebytes, update the definitions, then run a virus scan, then when that's done, log back into regular windows, and update your virus definitions and run another virus scan with some real virus protection. So far so good on this persons computer. thought maybe this information would be helpful to you all. hope it helps and happy new year.