Thread: Vista Hangs at welcome screen

Vista Hangs at welcome screen

Using Vista Home Basic on my desktop since 4 to 5 months. It was working fine until now but don’t know what went wrong now from last week whenever I start the system and enter my password, it just get hang on the welcome screen with the waiting message. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get on the desktop and sometime more than hour. I was just going to reformat the system but that will waste enough time and data. So can anyone help me fixing the problem ?

Re: Vista Hangs at welcome screen

I guess the startup program is creating the problem. Hence would suggest you to restart the system, tap F8 and boot into Safe Mode. See if it boots properly here till desktop. If it works properly than there are some startup applications freezing the system on login while loading. You should try disabling all those programs by going to Start > Run > msconfig. Now in the opened window go to Start Up tab and disable all unwanted program. Infact just allow system files and disable all.

Your system should boot properly now. If still you get the same problem then instead of reformatting just try repairing Vista with the installation disk.

That was very helpful solution MikeY007, thanks for the same. As per your instructions i tried booting to safe mode and everything was fine. hence later went to disable startup items and disable nearly everything except system programs. guess what, no more freeze now. Keep it up.