Thread: Remove ReadyBoost from USB flash drive

Remove ReadyBoost from USB flash drive

I am sorry if posting in any wrong section. I was using USB Flash drive with ReadyBoost from past couple of weeks but dint noticed any improvement in the system or drive performance. Hence I now I want to remove the ReadyBoost and use the drive for normal data storage. But am unable to remove the same from the drive. Any help regarding the same ? Thanks in advance.

Re: Remove ReadyBoost from USB flash drive

How did you tried removing the ReadyBoost ? The process for the same is very simple and there is nothing like we cannot delete the same. Anyways, here is how you can remove ReadyBoost.

1. Just right click the drive and select Properties.
    2. Go to Readyboost Tab
    3. Select Do not use readyboost on this drive.
    4. Click OK and you are done.

There should be no more readyboost file on your drive.

its very simple a gr. 6 kid would be able to understand his instructions, he meant go to windows explorer (removable disk (i)) right click ur usb and click properties, then choose the readyboost tab, and select do not use. and ur done, im 13 and i understood what he meant gosh, this is a very depressing moment

Hey Dhillon,

Here's a little professional advice, don't ever restate the obvious. Yay, it worked for you, however, it doesn't always work. I have seen this happen plenty of times. Just so your 13 and it worked for you doesn't make you special... You helped their situation none and then laughed in their face.

So, anyways, yea, this doesn't always work, but what you can do is move all your files off onto the computer, the right-click on the drive in Windows Explorer(My Computer), click properties and see what your filesystem is on your flashdrive. Its usually FAT or FAT32. Then right click on the drive in Windows Explorer (My Computer) and click format, select the right filesystem and do a quick format. After you do this, the computer will recover all the space on you flash drive for your use.

=D

@kuljinDaddy
    Hey thank for the non-useful information, because if you actually bothered to read the peoples problems above my post you would have understood if you weren't in such a rush, so heres another tip be patient read everything that occurs before you post.

if you were to read what they said, they could not find the explorer window, which does not exist in microsoft, it is called the window explorer so that is why they had trouble.
    I was not reinstating the obvious because it was not obvious to the people who had the issue (read more carefully). you did not help there situation either since your in such a rush that you didnt read that they could not find the "explorer window"

Finnaly i did not say i was special so please do not put traits on people by guessing, i hope you do not do that in reality. You also did the same thing in my situation you basically laughed in my face while posting your comment (think before you write) <-- thats good advice for someone like you.
    Last edited by dhillon; 14-05-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added more

Actually, what they said, is they could not open it in an explorer window, now, this means perhaps they were trying to open it in internet explorer, and as by my description, I understood this issue, where I marked windows explorer as also, my computer... to assist them with the issue of distinguishing what actual window is meant.

As for laughing in your face, lets not try to turn something that isn't into what you think it is. I just offered some wisdom and etiquette. Your young and perhaps think your very good at what you do. I was there once, and I still am. I find it very frustrating when I have to explain something 3 times to someone and they still don't get it, wheres I picked it up the first time and then expanded on it on my own with no assistance.

As for the readyboost issue, if you delete the file off your flash drive, (which a lot of people do thinking that will clear up space), it actually corrupts the space, so when you follow the OPS's (Original Problem Solver) advice, it will not restore your space, so a format is the only way to claim space from a corrupted file. So I find my information very pertinent and useful.

As for Explorer Window, it actually does exist in windows, its the Windows Explorer. So if you open it, its the Windows Explorer Window, and since it feels silly to say Window 2x, most people just say its the Explorer Window.

And if you don't believe me, even on Windows 7, Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer.

Anyways, I wish you luck and I'll catch you later. I figured I'd explain my end a little better for you rather than just try to continue an argument or offense and derail the thread and just mainly retract from those trying to find a solution to their problem.

well actually the original person to solve the problem did not say to delete the file, he said to "click not use readyboost" which does free the total memory of the usb. Finally i did not call it explorer window (there is a reason why i had it in ""). so again i can see you did not listen to my advice me patient read my comment throughly as i called it window explorer.

therefore please do not create another argument on terminology as you were trying to prove something that was very obvious and i had called it window explorer so i dont understand why you thought i called it explorer window

Quote " can't remove mine either. The bit about Explorer window does not work. Please help" /Endquote

People do not understand that this is not a file or fileblock, but instead a virtual partition on thier flashdrive that if they try to delete, the standard selection of "Do not use for ReadyBoost" will not work. The flashdrive must be formated correctly in the right filesystem.

Quote "@kuljinDaddy
    Hey thank for the non-useful information, because if you actually bothered to read the peoples problems above my post you would have understood if you weren't in such a rush, so heres another tip be patient read everything that occurs before you post.

if you were to read what they said, they could not find the explorer window, which does not exist in microsoft, it is called the window explorer so that is why they had trouble.
    I was not reinstating the obvious because it was not obvious to the people who had the issue (read more carefully). you did not help there situation either since your in such a rush that you didnt read that they could not find the "explorer window" "

I elaborated in my first post that this is typically refered to as my computer and explained that most people call it explorer window... Not to be confused with internet explorer.

Quote "i dont understand why you thought i called it explorer window"

Most people call it explorer window in the biz...

What you dont understand about me is I will explain alot of things that most folks need an explanation for. I can talk up to people so they understand, talk down to others so they can understand and talk sideways. I use analogies quite often to relay an explanation. Alot of whats in my post is not for you, but others when they arrive on this forum. I don't waste time on those who think they know it all, becuase its usually those who have the most to learn. Its not the A to B that counts friend, but what happens when you need to go to C or D or E.