Thread: Low Disk on Windows Vista Recovery Partition

Low Disk on Windows Vista Recovery Partition

Vista keeps on giving me low disk space notification. It is about the D drive. It is my only recovery partition. The alert shows that only 1% space is left on it. How can fix this thing. I had used Acronis True Image recently to create a image file of my Windows Partition. After the process was over, I keep getting this annoying message.

It is because the disk is full. You can disable the same by turning off notification settings. But it is recommended that you move the system image to some other place. Check the size of your C drive. Just right click on the Windows partition and choose Properties. You can find the space. If that is higher then it consumes almost all space is the D drive. You cannot do anything. Delete the image file or burn that on a DVD.

re: Low Disk on Windows Vista Recovery Partition

If it is a OEM partition that you are taking about, it is better you do not touch it. Many system has a recovery partition of 10GB I think. It has your original Windows and drivers. You must shrink your C drive and create a new partition where you can keep the image file. I will advice you to start from beginning and create a new image recovery process. It is always better to burn a bootable DVD out of it. So that in case of any failure you can restore your system through the bootable drive.

It is better you move the file to some other place. Touching the recovery partition could be very risky. When I had purchased a new laptop it came with two partitions. The one is C drive which has Windows in it and the second was recovery partition of 10GB. Maximum space was alloted to C only. I had shrink the partition and created two more from it. While creating a new system image file I use the new partition which consumed around 8GB system storage.

If the disk shows out of space notification then it would be low space. The recovery partition basically is reserved. It's settings are configured in the bios. You cannot make changes to it. It is right that you must create separate partition's so that you can go with more different backup stuff. That is the reason I had purchased a external drive. I can simply carry my backup where I can and compared to regular drive it is much faster. It is also recommended that you must not add or remove anything from the recovery partition.

I am facing a similar kind of issue with my system. The D drive is giving constant notification on low disc space. I tried number of different thing to avoid the error but somehow it looks it is out of space. My D Drive is having 80GB partition in which 75GB is full. So still there is 5GB remaining. I am sure that is not the limited amount. I contacted HP for the problem, but there was no reply. It looks some kind of bug in Vista. I want to know that does there is a way by which we can stop this notification or make changes to Windows alert.

Check in D drive. I am sure there is some kind of backup process configured. And that would be responsible for the error. It happens. Just try to clean the drive. Disk cleaners tool cannot help much here. Because there is data in your partition and it is getting filled up. You have to delete some of the data to stop the error. Or else there is no way by which you can get rid of the problem.

It will be waste of time to discuss this stuff. I am using Vista and my entire hard drive is almost full. There is nothing left. I keep on getting this kind of notifications. I ignore them. This is not a bug. If your drive is empty then Vista will never notify low disc space message on the screen. And if there is matter of recovery partition then you must not touch it.I am sure you had copied some data in that. If your image files became unstable then you would not be able to do anything.

I kept a backup of my recovery partition. This is very helpful in case of problem. If you can open that partition you can find some image files. Those are large files. Yo can copy them somewhere and restore them when needed. You must upgrade your storage media. Add some better one.

I think that it was really bad advice. and your just being too soft in all this --he isnt helping the situation-- comment. he is helping.....it was terrible advice. im having these same issues with my d drive and his advice was so terrible.....I thought "what a joke". if it was as simple as compressing the files or doing disk clean up.......we wouldnt even be at this thread. the compressing and disk cleanup advice......only comes from not understanding the seriousness of what is really going on. people will follow bad advice purely out of hope. ok im about to give it a try...finally. i think this is good advice to try..so I shall. (the advice of: someone tried to save a copy of hp back up...but saved it in wrong place. im not going to do any disc clean up. just some simple deletions from the partition. thanks for all you great input in this matter. See thread for "Low Disk Space Warning on HP Recovery Disk?" There is a Norton's 360 issue that corrected my warning.

re: Low Disk on Windows Vista Recovery Partition

I also have the same problem as described at the top. I have a HP pavilion. Since the first day I got about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Even aftert factory reformats Recovery would show almost to capacity and at start up the message running out of space ande have to press 3-4 buttons to get rid of the little message. So....what the hell to do :D if I even touch the buttons concerning D: drive (recovery) sirens go off the whole coplex is awoken and paramedics at the door. Originally when I got the PC I called tech support (still under warranty) and the gal spent some time and got rid of that little warning nucense that message that is irritating all of us.:D anyway, she got rid if the little nuence. BUt, later on had other problems and reformated back to factory settings.......well you can guess.... Does anyone know the bottom line here? Go to manager and just delete the letter D....:D
    It is just a nucence there is no pain involed right :D