Thread: How to fix corrupt files using Chkdsk utility

How to fix corrupt files using Chkdsk utility

I am getting some file corruption alert on my system. I can see a number of errors in Event viewer. Many of them are related to Windows fiels. I am using Vista from long time but this is the first time I received such error. Recently I had used a friends external drive. I think some virus has entered from it. I need some help to fix those system files. I found that using chkdsk can be more helpful here in fixing this files.

For that chkdsk can't help you much. You need to run a repair setup if the issue is bit serious. You can try that using Windows bootable disc and it is quiet helpful. Go the Event Viewer and check what is the error about. If there is a virus then scan your system in safe mode and ensure that you get all threats detected and deleted.

re: How to fix corrupt files using Chkdsk utility

Chkdsk helps you to scan your disc for errors. This helps you to improve the system performance. There is nothing related to file fixing. It just check for bad sectors and report you. And if your files are being modified by virus then you cannot do much in that. You have to scan your system. If that fails then take data backup and simply re-install windows back. Virus are common. I would advice you to collect data backup before performing any kind of changes in your system.

I had also faced the same issue some ago when I inserted a corrupt usb drive in my system. That caused my system to respond a bit slowly. I thought it was due to over system usage, but actually there were virus which was spreaded. Chkdsk is just a basic process which is not so helpful. You can restart your system and through Vista bootable dsic and then run Windows repair setup. It will wipe out the modified file and restore the original files.

If you want to check the system files integrity then there is another command. Click on Start > Run > CMD and type sfc /scannow. Hit enter. It will scan your system and will verify all system files. If this command file any corrupt system files then it will find and replace the same. Remember that you have to run the same in admin account. Or you will get error with system file replacement.

Chkdsk offers limited support and sfc /scannow allows to change system files. But if there are virus or other system settings are modified, the only option remains is to format and re-install Vista back again. Chkdsk just scan for bad sectors. It does not replaced any corrupt or modified system files. On the same hand sfc /scannow replaces files, but takes long time to scan each and everything.

I am sure you will find your solution here - Corrupt files in Windows Vista - Run chkdsk utility

SFC is System File Checker of Windows. It is a slow process, but very effective. There are some bootable third party system file checker which can allow you to provide information on corrupted or deleted files. But it is basically a waste of time, as once some of the internal system files are modified your OS is completely not stable.

I've tried to run chkdsk but I keep getting a message that says that it can't run it while the drive is being used. then I tried running sfc/sannow using the command prompt but it didn't fix all the files. what do I do now? My notebook didn't come with a system restore disc. I just want to reformat my drive. I have everything backed up on an external. WHAT DO I DO!!!??? Oh and I keep getting that blue screen of death. It's an asus g50. Everytime I call tech support I get put on hold for an hour! THank you! Helped out a lot. Yay no more corrupted files. thank God for external hard drives

There is a small hotfix provided by Microsoft. It am not sure what it does, but similar to SFC. It will allow you to scan your system and fix the corrupted file. And if this does not work then the last and best option is to run Repair setup. It will overwrite all system files replacing them with stable edition.

Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically