Thread: Vista system file corruption and sfc problem

Vista system file corruption and sfc problem

I am using a Dell Latitude Desktop. It has Windows Vista Ultimate installed in the same. Other than this I am using Symantec as the default antivirus installed in my system. I found a bit performance issue with the system. Sometime applications crashes on launch. I had used sfc /scannow to check the system file integrity. This command gave me a error - Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation and stopped. It gives the same error a number of time whenever I run that command.

Sfc /scannow is not working. The system has some major internal bugs which are causing the failure. You need to run a repair setup back again so that those files can be overwritten and your system will start performing well. Running repair setup through Vista installation disc is one of the best option you can go for.

What is mentioned in the logs. Go on Event Viewer and then check there. Post the detailed information of logs that you found. It will give you a clear idea about the problem. Sfc /scannow is a internal utility that is used to clean and verify system file integrity. If that is not working then it looks that there is some major bug in the system. Due to some serious internal corrupt files the problem occurs and you need to restore them. There are two ways for that. The one which is mentioned above which is about running repair setup and the second option is performing clean installation.

Try system restore. That can help you. I am facing issue with Windows Media Center. It crashes on launch causing the system to fail. I had tried to run sfc /scannow, but that did not helped much. I had preformed a repair setup and that has fixed the problem. System restore can give you temporary option. Before running the repair setup it is recommended that you must take your data backup.

System files are major issue which makes the system incompatible. You must keep a close watch on the error appear. That is the reason it is better to keep a recovery DVD. It offers you a much better option to deal with errors.

"Windows Resource Protection could not"

Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the listings above, but were you ever able to successfully run sfc? Is it possible that the log file you see is just an old file?

When I received the "Windows Resource Protection could not..." error, I was trying to run sfc from the Vista boot disk command prompt. In case it helps (or might help someone else with the same problem) - I was able to launch it by using the following switches:

sfc /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

(of course, you'd have to substitute the correct drive and paths if you installed anywhere other than c:\windows). In my case, this allowed sfc to run without the "Windows Resource Protection could not..." error.

Anyway - I apologize if this has already been answered or gone over; I just got lost in some of the postings.

Happy Keystrokes and Footsteps!