Thread: How to show advanced display view for Windows Vista Disk Defragmentation

How to show advanced display view for Windows Vista Disk Defragmentation

It looks that Vista has a completely new kind of Disk Defragmentation tool. It look very basic. There is a single window with hard drive listed and Analyze button. In Windows XP there was option by which you can view all in details. I cannot find that here. Does Vista defrgamentation tool has Detailed View. If yes then how to access that.

Re: How to show advanced display view for Windows Vista Disk Defragmen

Yes I too notice that. Vista has a basic Disk Deframentation tool. I checked the my partition with the same and noticed everytime that it shows disk are proper. While compared to that the tool provided in XP was more effective. There is no option available by which you can simply put XP tool back in Vista. It would be better enough. I have list of some third party software's which does the same job. But yet I am a bit doubtful about using the same.

Disk Defragmentation tool does not do any special thing. It just arranges or organize the data. That's all. Many think that this boost the system performance. But a very little changes are made. There is a short FAQ on Defragmentation tool. You can read the same to get detailed idea about how it actually works.

Disk Defragmenter FAQ

There are many powerful defragmentation software that can be helpful in many ways. I use a software called as Defraggler. This is one of the basic software that allows you get a bit details view of defrag process and it is easier to use also. I am not sure that this might support Vista or not, but it is much better. There are number of other free tools that works quiet nicely. But do not perform defrag again and again. Do it twice in a month. For boosting system performance you can go with more options.

Re: How to show advanced display view for Windows Vista Disk Defragmentation

I'd just like something so I can see how fragmented my disk is. I don't need to watch a progress bar or anything like that, just a tool to see what the drive's like. I'm using a laptop so it's rarely on when disk defrag is scheduled to run. I'd like to be able to check and see how bad the disk is before I decide why the laptop's running slow.
    Last edited by ionnes; 06-08-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added content

If you are facing a problem with slow system then there are many other things that you can do instead of defrag. It just helps your data to access much easier by the OS or applications. For boosting the system, add more ram, cleaning the startup, killing and removing un-neccessary programs are some of the important things.

I came across this thread by accident and I figured I would drop a suggestion even though I'm fairly certain no one will be reading.

I remember when I first defrag my disk on a new vista system, wow was I annoyed.

I must agree I like knowing the status of defragmenting also, and as far as the earlier versions I never had a problem with it starting over unless I intended for it to. I like the idea of knowing when something is close to finishing. I am so glad for the earlier post suggesting a free download. I have just finished the download, and love the response and speed it is providing.

I have been in this field for close to 30 years. After reading the previous posts I am amazed at the ignorance of those supporting the new thoughtless way of running defrag. I, too, like to see the display of HOW MUCH fragmentation exists on the hard drive, especially when giving instruction on defragmentation. Perhaps we should all just return to XP?

Thank you Professor Larry! I ended up downloading a free program called Auslogics Disk Defrag, and now I am able to defragment and watch the progress. Anyone else wanting to watch the progression of defragmentation should download the free software since no one from Microsoft felt a need to provide it for us. This free software download is a sure plus for me despite those of you who want us to believe that if we don't agree with your logic then we must be stupid. Stupid or not I think there have been enough responses that agree with me. Thanks again Professor Larry!!!

i am so glad i read this im no tekkie but i have to see how fragmented my computer is before i waste my time defragmenting. i cant leave my computer on at all hours for it to run on a schedule as i am just a random user whenever i feel like getting online. im the kind of person that should have been in some of those microsoft studies but they end up picking housewives who care nothing about whether something actually needs to be done or not and dont even know it doesnt run if your computer isnt on. i am gonna look up that auslogics disk defrag and hopefully know whats going on and when on a computer i paid good money for.

Quote Originally Posted by gannon.chris View Post
    i am so glad i read this im no tekkie but i have to see how fragmented my computer is before i waste my time defragmenting. i cant leave my computer on at all hours for it to run on a schedule as i am just a random user whenever i feel like getting online. im the kind of person that should have been in some of those microsoft studies but they end up picking housewives who care nothing about whether something actually needs to be done or not and dont even know it doesnt run if your computer isnt on. i am gonna look up that auslogics disk defrag and hopefully know whats going on and when on a computer i paid good money for.
    I dont understand, if you are asking questions or having some queries or blaming microsoft for what-so-ever reasons? But instead of using Auslogics Disk Defrag I would recommend you to go with Defraggler's, its most advanced features is the ability to move large files to the end of the hard drive. Your computer accesses files faster if they're at the start of the drive. Defraggler can put the large files you probably don't use that often (videos and archives, for example) at the end of the drive so that Windows can find the smaller files faster.

Didn't mean to confuse anyone, but the main thing is to let people who want to see degragmentation know that there are free programs out there. I appreciate knowing that you are suggesting another program to use; however, Auslogics Disk Defrag is working fine for me. Thanks for your suggestion though.

I am happy to see that I am not the only one who wants to see some sort of display when I defrag. For all of you wonks who want to infringe on my ability to watch colorful little boxes hopping on on other little boxes, I'm sorry but I also enjoy watching a game of Pong from time to time. Better still would be the old fashioned bars that would continually compressed the spaces until you had one complete bar.

As far as a progress bar goes, knowing about how long the process will take to complete is sometimes important to me. Believe it or not, I can resist touching my keyboard and/or mouse while defrag is processing.