Thread: Increasing file copy speed

Increasing file copy speed

I have been using Windows XP since long time, or I can say since the first day it released. Now I have installed Vista as well on one of my PC and found that the transfer rate is as much as 5x time slow compared to windows XP. After doing some research I can say that the reason behind this is when we try transferring or copying files in Vista, calculate precisely the number and size of the files to be copied so that it can report the estimated time and transfer speed for the copy process. Here it consumes much time though it is useless. I mean, I don’t require the remaining time or the transfer speed showing up on the screen. I just want to be my file copied as soon as possible like in Xp.

So I want to know if there is any process or tweak using which can speed up the copy speed in Windows Vista ?

Re: Increasing file copy speed

I don’t think so. Even me having 2 desktops, with nearly same config, one running with XP and another with Vista. As I noticed, Vista some times use to be equal to XP but most of the times it is faster. I dint noticed any slower transfer speed in vista. Also if you see properly, you will notice that the files starts copying/transferring as soon as you drag and drop click paste… and the system calculates all those time remaining and transfer speed in the background. It doesn’t hampers the file transfer