Thread: Vista black screen after installing new Nvidia graphic card

Vista black screen after installing new Nvidia graphic card

I had installed Nvidia GPU on my system. It is a new gpu and I had downloaded fresh drivers. After installation things went fine, but there was issue with black screen. The screen use to flickr sometime in between. I ignored that. But now there is a complete black screen with only mouse pointer. Nothing happens. The system freezes completely.

Can you enter in Safe Mode. If yes then go in that and remove the drivers. It think the one which you downloaded is not compatible with existing OS you have. You must look for a appropriate driver. Always download the most compatible drivers or else this kind of issues are common. You can also try Windows Update to find the right drivers and it will work.

I had faced the same issue with updated driver. Well everything was working fine, but I accidentally updated the drivers and that caused crash. Nothing happen for some time. But after a few days the system started giving black screen. I had removed the update drivers and then install back the older version. It worked.

About a month or so ago, I ran into the same trouble after MS updated and restarted my computer. It started acting up and quickly became an issue where the Welcome Screen was replaced by a black screen and cursor (that moves). After attempting many things in the hopes of fixing this, I gave up and returned my RAM (as I'd been getting a couple of messages regarding memory issues). This put off my fixing the problem for awhile. I finally got the replacement RAM and installed it. Guess what? It wasn't the problem...I still have the black screen instead of the Welcome Screen. I've been all over the net trying to find out what is going on and find that, while many people seem to have this problem for a variety of reasons - including Windows Updates - there isn't much available for fixes. I can't access MS tech support because it's past 90 days (who ever heard of such a thing as only 90 days of support for a publicly buggy product?) but I did find a piece on their forum where MS admits they are aware of the problem (which has been reported for over a year), that to fix it requires an install of Vista AND that it was fixed with SP1. Well, my build ONLY has had the SP1 version so that's wrong. And I can't reinstall so that is wrong too.

So, does anyone have any idea how to direct me toward fixing this when I can't even get the computer to install from the Vista disk? i have the sam problem but it take 45min to an hr for my laptop to load to just the black screen, it load to ms win screen for another 45 min, another black screen( sometime never loading past here) but get to the point where i can choose a user proflie and 30 for that to load. i have gotten so many msg wit eorro codes> 0x80070057,0x80070426 are the ones i get the most and windows system fail to connect! im at the point of sitting this thing on the side of the road! HELP ME PLEASE!!!

I posted on another forum. It fixed my black screen. Maybe it will work for you too.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...&tf=0&pageid=3

In my situation, I had a Dell Latitude E4200 that would boot to a black screen with the cursor visible. Our machines require ctrl-alt-del to logon, and doing so brought up the use agreement that we have configured through policies, but after okaying that screen the black would reappear. The Windows Logon User Interface Host was crashing. Also in my situation, I was able to enter the GUI safemode. I disabled all services, then re-enabled them in groups to determine which one was causing the problem. I found out it was the Smart Card service. After disabling that everything works fine. We do not use smart cards so there is no issue for us, so I didn't look any farther into what was actually making the Smart Card service crash the logon host. I too had the black screen even when booting up in safe mode. The problem went away when I shutdown, then inserted a USB flash drive into an available USB port, then booted back up in normal mode. I got the desktop back! No more black screen!

re: Vista black screen after installing new Nvidia graphic card

I have Windows Vista on a Sony Vaio NS series - and I also had this black screen upon login with mouse cursor and could not view my desktop.fortunately, i could still do CTRL ALT DEL and i was able to log in to another User account. thats how i was able to read up on this black screen w/ mouse issue. What i did to restore my desktop is to shut down the computer using Ctrl alt del, let it sit for about 5 minutes. then as the system booted up, i hit F8 and instead of Safe Mode or Start Windows normally, I selected Last Configuration of successful Windows start up - i think thats what it was.. and thereafter, the desktop was restored.. so this is what worked for me. fyi