Thread: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

This is my new build:
    • Gigabyte GA-MA 790GP-DS4H Mobo
    • AMD Phenom 9950 X4 2.82 GHz
    • 4 GB G-Skill Ram
    • ATI Radeon HD 4870
    • 1 TB WD HD

I have installed Vista x64 yesterday, it seems x64 is Horribly Choppy and Slow while carrying out some tasks. I have played some games and i did not had any issue in that but when i play any movie or when i browse things get choppy and hung. I have installed all recommended update and have updated system driver to latest as well but no avail. I never had such bad experience with xp, so i want to know if there is anything that i can try to fix it rather than uninstalling vista and installing xp.

Re: Vista x64 Horribly Choppy and Slow

Cross check and make sure that you are having latest 64 bit driver versions for your devices. There are possibilities where some driver might have got corrupted and you will have to uninstall and reinstall them. You should install latest chipset driver and bios for your board. You can get hold of latest bios form board manufacturer site. If you want than you can change processors from 1 to 4 and check mark "Detect HAL" box in Boot Advanced Options. Just check out these things and see if you are gaining better performance.

I had installed latest 64 bit driver for my system devices previously but after your suggestion i have installed latest chipset driver and bios as well. I don't see much difference, changing processors from 1 to 4 and check marking "Detect HAL" box in Boot Advanced Options seem to have made minor difference but my problem still exist. If there is anything that i need to check out here after or anything that i can try further than please let me know.

I want to know if you have gone through Event log of your system ? If not than go through it and see if you see any suspicious info related to your issue. I think going through the log will be a better idea in tracking down the root cause of this issue and fixing it later.

That's the reason i haven't upgraded to Vista x64, vista x86 is much better. I have come across several people facing whole lot of issue with Vista x64. One of the very common issue is finding compatible 64 bit driver for a system. If you don't mind that i'll suggest you to uninstall Vista x64 and install vista x86, you really wont have any regret with that.

I completely agree to Big Fish, i have ran Vista x64 on below system for a month.
    intel q6600
    gigabyte p35-ds3r
    4 gb ram
    Asus gf6800gt
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    2x500gb wd hd

I have had a bad experience with Vista x64 since installing it even though my system is capable of handling it. It used to run quite slow and i could make out the worst effect while playing games and videos. Either game used to get crashed or video used to appear very choppy. I had installed some applications like yahoo messenger and video players but they used to gets crashed frequently. I had tried out all possible solutions that i could have, even reinstalling vista x64 but no avail. later i uninstalled it and have installed vista x86 and i am finding it quite better. If you want then you can try reinstalling windows Vista x64, if it works fine after that than well and good if not than better install vista x86 , that's all i can say.

You can try performing below things for Speeding Up the Performance of Vista:
    • Turn Aero Glass Transparency Off
    • Adjust Visual Effects for Best Performance
    • Enable Advanced Performance for the Hard Drive
    • Disable the Search Index
    • Disable or Remove Unused Start up Programs
    • Disable Unused Vista Services
    • Turn Off Remote Differential Compression (RDC)
    • Turn Off Extra Unused Windows Features
    • Turn Off Automatic Disk De-fragmentation
    • De fragment the Hard Drive on a Regular Schedule
    • Turn Off the Hibernation Sleep Mode
    • Turn Off System Restore
    • Turn Off Windows Sidebar
    • Speed Up the Menu Pop Out Delay Time
    • Use High Performance Plan in Power Options
    • Set Vista for the CPU L2 Cache Memory Size
    • Disable Transient Multimon Manager (TMM)
    • Clear Vista Temporary Files
    • Disable Clearing the Virtual Memory Paging File at Shutdown

Best of luck.