Thread: Please help.... can't delete files

Please help.... can't delete files

I am using Windows Vista. There is only one user account, that is the Administrator and am the only Admin of this computer. But it seems like I myself don’t have control on my own computer. Yesterday while copying some files from my external drive where I use to save my backups, something went wrong and I cancelled the copy. Later when I wanted to delete those files with error, my system wont allows me to delete them.

I don’t what kind of security or what kind of feature is this that don’t allow the computer admin to delete files. Can you guys help me to get the complete control of my system ?

Re: Please help.... can't delete files

Well am facing this since long time. There use to be also a constant security window pop-up those really very annoying. But anyways, I managed to find a temporary solution that will help you fix this. Right click Windows Explorer and select Run as Administrator. Now delete those files. You won’t be getting any problem now.

That really sounds very interesting. I mean, Vista is protecting your computer from you itself. LOL. Also as you guys are saying to right click c:\\Windows\explorer.exe and run as admin, let me say that it does nothing.

I got too much frustrated with this and reverted back to Windows XP. Am happy now.

Did you guys tried running 'icacls' command? If not, give it a try. This is what helped to get granted administrators access to the files even though the GUI wouldn't