Thread: How to remove $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information

How to remove $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information

Yesterday when I connected a friends USB drive I noticed some weird behavior of my system. I think that his USB drive was infected, hence remove the same immediately. I scanned my complete system with AVG and thankfully dint found any virus. Later when I checked my D drive I found two new folders named $recycle.bin And System Volume Information. I don’t know from where they came but I suspect the USb drive. Anyway, now when am trying to delete this folders, it is just not getting deleted.

Can someone please tell me how can I delete the same ? Thanks in advance.

Re: How to remove $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information

Don’t worry dude, those are not any virus, neither had they come because of the infected USB drives. They usually remain on all fixed drives/partitions. They are kind of system files because they get auto generated by the system hence you won’t be able to delete them permanently. So, ignore them and be relaxed.

Are you sure that both these folders are normal ? If yes, then why weren’t they available earlier than I connected the USB drives ? What make me think its not normal is the USB drive was infected and these folders appear right after connecting them. Can any one explain me properly please ?

First: Open Windows Explorer, click Organize, go to View tab and see whether you have selected to Show Hidden Folders and Files. I am sure you have selected it because these files are since start on your system but as they use to be hidden it wasn’t showing up earlier and now as you have made them to show they appeared on your drive. hence it is normal.

Second: If it would be virus your AVG should have detected it right ?

Hi all!
    Neither moonlight is shouting and nor anybody here have presented the solutions, sad to see this.

I am also having the same problem as of moonlight explained.

And as for the solution that is given here, I always keep my default view "Show Hidden Files & Folders" but those viruses never appeared before I used an infected pendrive. I am still searching the solution and will be happy to post it here as soon as I get it.

I had a similar problem, as I was having virus in my System Volume Information on d: drive and to solve this issue, somebody suggested me to install BitDefender. After installing it on my pc, whenever a malware was getting in this special folder, it was detected by BitDefender and immediately removed by it.