Thread: My Volume control gone from tray

My Volume control gone from tray

Using Windows Vista Home Premium since a month on brand new Dell laptop. Everything was working fine. Last week I did a series of Windows Update installation and I guess due to that there is no more Volume Control icon in my system tray (next to the clock).

Am not a techie guy hence need your helps. Please let me know where can I get it back? Thank you.

Re: My Volume control gone from tray

If it is gone because of the windows update then there could be some difficult situation but first lets have a simple workaround. Just right click on your taskbar anywhere and Select properties. Go to the Notification Area tab. Here check below if your Volume box is selected. If not, select it and click OK. Volume button should be back to your system tray.

Even my little speaker icon was disappeared from the system after updates earlier this month. After spending few hours on internet, I found the following that helped me to restore the same back. Just type GPEdit in the start menu search bar, press Enter. This will open Local Group Policy Editor.

Now navigate to the following location: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar. Here on the right pane, see if there is any key named Remove the volume control icon. In my case it was there. Yiou just need to right click the same, select properties and check mark Disabled or Not Configured and click on OK.

That’s it.