Thread: Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?

Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?

I use to do check my hard drives by running chkdsk time to time. Have done it various times earlier also in time interal of a month. Yesterday when I tried to run the same by going to Tools under properties on my Vista Home Premium, it started fine after rebooting the system but got freezed while checking the same. Since than I have tried running it more than 20 times but it gets hanged at the stage 1 of 5. Never passed more than 4% though I leave it for four hours.

As there is no option to cancel the CHKDSK at that stage, the only way to get rid of it is by hard boot by holding power button for about 5 seconds. Now everytime I start the windows, it starts CHKDSK because it has never completed running 100% and I cannot just get to the desktop.

Is there any way we can cancel this and reach the desktop ? Please help.

RE: Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?

I am using Vista on brand new HP Dv2221us laptop. There are only the softwares I got installed by the vendor that are HP softwares, Vista and few Microsoft programs along with Norton Internet Security. Yesterday the laptop got shutdown suddenly, I don’t know why, battery was also charged, and when it rebooted again, itstarted running the CHKDSK. Now the problem is very similar to you. Mine also get stuck at the 3rd stage at 70%. If I’ll leave it for a week, it will remain right there. Any help ?

Re: Vista CHKDSK at reboot -- freezes or hangs, or just takes forever?

I don’t know how this can be fixed. But as I guess you both guys laptop is still under warranty, will suggest you to get it fixed by the service center folks. As this is not any physical damage or intentionally done issue, you wont be charged anything for the same.