Thread: Loss of System Restore Points using Vista

Loss of System Restore Points using Vista

I bought Toshiba Satellite A205 laptop about 3 months ago that came pre-installed with Vista Home Basic. However there is no problem in the performance, the only thing am concerned about is the Restore Point. I just noticed that the restore points I create or the ones generated by the system automatically gets deleted automatically after some days or when I restart the system (not sure). I can only see the 2 latest restore points everytime.

When searched web for the same few people said that it gets deleted automatically because of the low hard disk space but I still have more than 50GB HDD space left on my system. I dint faced any such problem on my Windows XP in last 7 years of experience. Any idea why is my restore points getting deleted every time and how can I fix it ?

By default the system reserves 15% of the drive space for system restore but you can change it anytime. BTW, what is the size of your disk ? To do the changes, go to Start > type CMD, right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. Now type the following Code:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Or you can also run the following command to see the list of current restore points available:

vssadmin list shadows

Re: Loss of System Restore Points using Vista

Talking about space, me too need some help. I downloaded and ran a HDD utility today that showed me that huge amount of my HDD space (about 200 MB) is being consumed by something called "%Recycle.bin". AVG also has a "$......" on the machine. I don’t know what exactly is this all. If it is cache, can I delete the same ? Will it be safe to do so ?

For some reason when I try and restore I don't have the option to go back more than 5 days which is really where I need to go.

Any easy solutions please

I noticed today when using a utility that I have a huge volume of space being consumed by something called "%Recycle.bin". AVG also has a "$......" on the machine. Is this a cache and regardless can I safely delete all of it? It's consuming at least 160mb of space.
    In the Microsoft Windows operating systems, the Recycle Bin is a holding area for files and folders that are held before ultimate deletion from a storage device. So normally it comes when you are deleting something but it is temporary. You can delete it without agonize. Go Ahead.

For some reason when I try and restore I don't have the option to go back more than 5 days which is really where I need to go.
    There should be option of selecting the days that you want to restore. Try to search that out in Restore Option. coming to your main point, since it was already selected as five days, I think now you cannot restore before that. But still you can give a try by using some additional applications for restoring the files.